• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much of a rate tart are you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you slum it on 35K to 40K with a local job you really liked, nice easy life, or flog yourself into the ground for a 12-14 hour working hour day in a very inaccessible 150 mile round trip with some hotel stopovers for double the dosh?

Could have a dilemma to address all being well......

never option 1. always option 2. though it's triple not double and it'll be quadruple next year. no brainer.

Comment

I always choose location over rate, never worked in London even though I could earn £100-£150 a day more
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Option 2 for me. Although it works both ways for me as London is close by and it's an awesome place with lots to do see feel and be a part of whilst working.
        Last edited by dmo; 27 October 2012, 23:14.

Comment

I jacked in a 60k perm job here in Leeds not two years ok, the career Shiite got to me, plus the fact that going to the same place for the foreseeable same drive, same faces got to me.

Give me summert different every three or six months any day...

Except not this gig - glad to get away and that's good, new horizons all the time....

Comment

Local every time. But maybe not for permie salary.

But local contract for £100-£150 less every time. Dont want to spend my life sitting in my car, or sitting in a hotel on my own, while my kids are growing up.

Of course, if you're single/got no ties, no big deal being up in london (or whatever) for the week. Possibly even better.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I've toyed with the idea of taking a gig in London if it was well-paid enough I could hire a nice little studio apartment.

For a fixed time, specifically to build up a big chunk of cash, maybe. Not as a way of life. If someone wanted to pay me £900/day for my one proper niche skillset, I'd probably take it as a one-off.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

In Scooter we trust

Comment

I took a rate cut to be closer to home, lost £70pd but gained 2 hours pd. I have two young children so for me it was a no brainer. Your circumstances might vary.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

As much as I would love to be closer to home I find the rates in South Wales are absolutely crap and it wouldn't be worth being a contractor as I wouldn't reap much from it. The whole reason I became a contractor was so that I could actually provide a better life for my family and so far it's paying dividends.
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X