• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone here worked in Japan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here worked in Japan?

Im currently in contract, but a friend of mine in Nagoya has held out the possibility of some work there... as you only live once id certainly consider the opportunity to see a bit more of the world, but if anyone has experience of the IT sector, etc, out there id love to hear it....

Yes, I've worked in Japan. Have some pictures on my website. Really nice place. Sometimes feels like the nearest place not England to England, mainly due to the bureaucracy.

At first try not so much joking etc. at work, especially in a technical context, they can fall quite flat. The sense of humour can be quite different. Once your colleagues get to know you then all gets better.

Remember to a Japanese our "round eyes" make us look constantly surprised.

In a cubicle farm the cubicle nearest the middle, furthest from the windows, has the highest status. If you get moved to a cubicle near the window it can mean they want you to leave.

They tend to work in teams and work by concensus, i.e. meetings (bleh) generally I find I interface with two youngsters and an older chap. The older chap generally will not talk to you at work, but socially will make up for it. Don't be put off by this. It is just their way.

Go for it!

Comment

So you were actually working there then threaded?

And there was me thinking you'd taken a holiday there in a desperate attempt to get laid.

For those keen to see more of threaded's very own pictures (as opposed to the one's I discovered and published) try browsing www.threaded.com/images/ which contains far more than actually appear on the site.

This is one of my favourites...

Comment

fiddly: Yeah, I have been working there, several times. One of the parts of my comul is DBCS I18N enabling stuff. I am also a project co-ordinator on the Earth Simulator. I do occasional consultancy for the Foreign Office and various development agencies whenever they want some educated/upper class/computer/petrol head type who can speak Japanese. I have helped bring many jobs to the UK.

The dodgem picture's one of my faves too. Driving backwards in the dodgems is one of my great joys, and I am very good at it. One of the few things I learnt in the army that I have found a use for. :-) That was taken at the town where my Dutch companies are registered. I just love Queens Day in Holland, great fun.

All the pictures in images are used in the site. Although I guess you are not able to access the entire site. Clue: try clicking on the hyperlinks (they're the ones in blue & with a blue line under)

Comment

mmmmmm...why do I think this thread could eventually become quite long with a lot of urine extraction going on.

We shall see....

Comment

> Driving backwards in the dodgems ... one of the few things I learnt in the army that I have found a use for.

Absolutely amazing what facilities they have at Sandhurst.

Do other ranks like shaunbhoy get training in this essential military skill too or is it only for you officer types? If so perhaps you could pair up with him for a celebrity driving backwards in dodgems exhibition - possibly Geldof could fit you in at one of the Live 8 concerts.

Comment

feck me,

blast from the past it's good old MaquiggD !!!

How's it going in Norfolk Mac ?

Milan.

Comment

japan

I did a 4 month contract in Yokohama in 2001. It was a fantastic experience, absolutely loved it. If you have half a chance to go there I would certainly recommend taking it.

Comment

Howdy MilanB.... I did a bit of permie work for an MS owned consultancy, but im now back contracting (got my MCSD.Net, working on Web Services, C#, all the usual, luvverly jubbly). Moved to Edinburgh 15 months ago....

Ill admit that I have met a half Brasilian / half Japanese lovely - who happens to be a recruitment agent! Always been fascinated by Japan but this has quite naturally increased my interest in Japan based work to see if it works out...

Guys, any advice about language requirements are welcome - ive been told that even basic Japanese will increase my chances, however there are also those that say it wont be a problem in the major cities.... espcially if working for an American company. Apparently certification is well regarded...

Comment

Re: ...

Even a little bit of Japanese will help and the difference between Kanji, Hiragana writing and sometimes you'll even see signs in Chinese and Korean. You'll probably find the signs in Romaji easiest to understand, well apart from the ones that are in English of course.

Comment

Working...
                    X