• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Son diagnosed with Epilepsy - Anyone have kids with this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neil Young is epileptic, he's done rather well!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
      Looking for some reassurance I guess as my 6 year old son got diagnosed with Epilepsy after many months of tests.

Glad in a way that we've got to understand what's been happening, but heart broken about the potential life long medication and the impact on his life i.e. driving a car later in life etc etc.

Would be keen to hear from anyone on here who has had similar experiences or could offer any advice.
      A friend of mine was an epileptic and lead a perfectly normal life, if she forgot to take her medication she would have a fit and didn't remember a thing when she came to, a bit like someone had hit the delete button.

From what I can see, as long as it is controlled with medication nothing to worry about.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Don't panic and good luck.

Has his school been informed and is appropriate training in hand? also make sure its properly documented and "statemented" as it will make life a lot easier later on (plus you'll have your first choice of secondary school without trying).
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Neil Young is epileptic, he's done rather well!!
          List of people with epilepsy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Sorry to hear your news. My wife's sister was diagnosed with epilepsy at an early age, very shocking for all from the accounts I have heard from her family and a hard time for all of them. She has been on med's ever since but this has controlled the seizures and she has led a very normal life. She has driven for years so not sure if she did get off the meds later in life or not...

Fingers crossed they get the treatment right for your little one quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
              Looking for some reassurance I guess as my 6 year old son got diagnosed with Epilepsy after many months of tests.

Glad in a way that we've got to understand what's been happening, but heart broken about the potential life long medication and the impact on his life i.e. driving a car later in life etc etc.

Would be keen to hear from anyone on here who has had similar experiences or could offer any advice.
              I've no advice or experience to offer, but I'm sorry for your troubles.

I've only known one person with epilepsy, and that was a teenager whilst I was one too. They got on and lived their lives OK. There's quite a lot they can do to control the problem with medication.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post

My 4 year old is just awaiting a 99% certain diagnosis of coeliac disease,
                could I ask how you discovered this in the first place?

Comment

My daughter has had various tests for epilepsy and they discovered that she has Aspergers syndrome instead.
                  However, one of my best mates is epileptic and it has very little impact on this life. He drives, he works, he sword fights, he goes to the pub etc.

If he has a fit he will get an automatic driving ban for a couple of years but that is it. However, he can feel fits coming a mile off and just goes to have a lie down. I think this has happened a handful of times in the 12 years I have known him.

The odds are that your familiy will simply incorporate this into your routines and after a few years it will just be one of those things you do. Like we have to explain everything that is going to happen in the day to my daughter in the morning, including the order of any specific events and who is likely to be present etc.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    I used to get pre fit auras not the actual fit. I was tested and said I didn't have epilepsy and not to worry but I did have the auras so I'm sure I had it in some form. Does you son get them?
                    That sounds like a migraine with aura to me. I get them from time to time and often do not suffer any pain.

Comment

It's not the same, what I used to get is an overwhelming feeling of complete detachment, and an amazing sense of peace and understanding, rising from the pit of my stomach. Lose all sense of time but I knew I was still functioning, talking, walking, bit like I was two people at once.

Read Neil Youngs bio a few years back and he described his pre grand mal aura and they fitted mine perfectly. Honestly I miss them, they were immensely pleasurable and the peace and all! I have suffered with migraine too, shimmering lights and massive pain after, oddly enough now I still get the shimmering lights, but no headache or pain.

The two things are radically different though, to me anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X