• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fire!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire!

Ok people. Help me out here. I have a lovely open fireplace here, and I'm cold. I have tons of wood (apparently 'seasoned')outside my front door, and some coal. But I have no idea how to light a fire....?
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Ok people. Help me out here. I have a lovely open fireplace here, and I'm cold. I have tons of wood (apparently 'seasoned')outside my front door, and some coal. But I have no idea how to light a fire....?
    Get a nice local chap in to do it for you while you put the kettle on.

Firelighters and newspaper are you're friend...
    Me, me, me...

Comment

How to Light a Fire in a Fireplace: 17 steps - wikiHow

Comment

lol

you need 'small bits' at the bottom
        'medium bits' in the middle
        'tough bits' at the top

and you need to love it. and feed it.

all the layers need lots of spaces, to allow the air to flow.

So.

empty the grate.
        empty the shelf underneath (the ashes)
        Get some newspaper, or equiv, and screw it into tight rolls
        make a layer at the bottom of the grate
        add in some small splinters of wood or firelighters , things that will light easily

add a smaller layer of bigger stuff. small twigs, bits of wood the size of yer thumb etc

add a few big lumps, the size of yer arm. make sure they are dry ( put the wets on later)

you should have a big airy pyramid. stick a match to to some paper at the bottom. and watch what happens

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Have you had your chimney swept recently?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Pop down to the local garage, pick up one of their portable fuel cans and brim it with unleaded (needs to be the more expensive Super stuff, regular unleaded doesn't burn so well).

When you get back home, soak a rag or old tea towel in the stuff, then stick it in the lid of the can so half the rag is sticking out.

Bung the can in the fireplace, light the rag, then wang a few logs on.

Hey presto, nice and toasty.

And keep 999 on speed dial, just as a precaution.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              lol

you need 'small bits' at the bottom
              'medium bits' in the middle
              'tough bits' at the top

and you need to love it. and feed it.

all the layers need lots of spaces, to allow the air to flow.

So.

empty the grate.
              empty the shelf underneath (the ashes)
              Get some newspaper, or equiv, and screw it into tight rolls
              make a layer at the bottom of the grate
              add in some small splinters of wood or firelighters , things that will light easily

add a smaller layer of bigger stuff. small twigs, bits of wood the size of yer thumb etc

add a few big lumps, the size of yer arm. make sure they are dry ( put the wets on later)

you should have a big airy pyramid. stick a match to to some paper at the bottom. and watch what happens

V comprehensive EO, thank yoooou!

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Have you had your chimney swept recently?
              Hum. No. It's been a while.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Unused fireplace...

Chimney fire.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Unused fireplace...

Chimney fire.

That is all.
                  The chimney has been swept, if that's what you're referring to.

+5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

The chimney has been swept, if that's what you're referring to.

When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X