• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Return of Third Class Rail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling with XC last week, their "first class" struck me very much as "premium economy":
    • Nicer seats
    • WiFi and power sockets
    • Free hot drinks in paper cups
    • Free food was a choice between one type of sandwich and one type of microwaved meal in a plastic pot, with disposable cutlery
    • No free booze
    Other operators are FAR better - real crockery and cutlery, waiter service, etc. I was pretty disappointed. Especially since I had 2 9-hour trips the same week, with the exact same food options (although to be fair the chilli was actually quite nice).

It's such a shame because rail travel can be wonderful. We did a train across the USA with proper little sleeping cabins, and a proper buffet car where they actually cooked food from scratch - better than the average UK restaurant even!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I thought Third class was the unreserved coach on Virgin Trains Sometimes booking a ticket from Glasgow to MK it won't let me reserve a seat. That is incredibly annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
        It’s not actually 3rd class travel, rather a 3rd option (premium standard) very much like the airlines do already.
        Premium standard would be getting a reserved seat in standard class?

Comment

3rd class is the vestibule surely; they are normally full of people.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            Cant they just get rid of the seats and pack us all in like cattle ? Ohh, also charge double what they charge now for the privilege. Should be easy, just bribe a few MP's and job is done.
            They already did that on the slow commuter trains.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
            X