• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top British companies have overpaid billions in tax - EU Court

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top British companies have overpaid billions in tax - EU Court

The European Court of Justice (ECJ) found that by taxing dividends earned from companies based in Britain differently from income gained abroad, Britain's treasury overcharged companies for decades.

Top British companies have overpaid billions in tax - EU Court | Reuters

Have we done this one yet?

Specifically this applies to British companies that have foreign subsidiaries. I work (in Britain) for a US company that's wholly owned by a British group, so I guess the company could be in for a windfall if this turns out to be correct.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I guess the company could be in for a windfall if this turns out to be correct.
      "It is not yet clear how far back companies might be able to claim retroactive repayment of taxes, with claims dating back to 1973. This question is scheduled to be examined in a separate ECJ court case in 2013."

Sensible decision from EU.

Comment

Why does some part of me expect the treasury to start shouting about how nasty and bad retrospection is?

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
          Why does some part of me expect the treasury to start shouting about how nasty and bad retrospection is?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Why bother? Parliament can just pass the 'Retrospective we're not paying it back and here's an extra 10% windfall Act'. And as our elected representatives are duty bound to act in our best interests, we can eagerly await it.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Gordon Brown apparently cancelled this tax error in his first budget (that would be 1997 I think?).

It's in hands of court now to determine the position regarding previous years and if Treasury loses it won't be forming lobby group to reverse it - they'd just blame Tories under which it happened and try to get some money from current tax cheats.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Gordon Brown apparently cancelled this tax error in his first budget (that would be 1997 I think?).

It's in hands of court now to determine the position regarding previous years and if Treasury loses it won't be forming lobby group to reverse it - they'd just blame Tories under which it happened and try to get some money from current tax cheats.
                'Current tax cheats' like the treasury?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  'Current tax cheats' like the treasury?
                  Treasury just does what Parliament intended - if you have problem with taxes bring it up with politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Treasury just does what Parliament intended - if you have problem with taxes bring it up with politicians.
                    I don't have a problem; the companies have a problem, took it to the ECJ and now the government has a problem. In fact, if those companies have to be reimbursed then everyone has a problem, although I suspect it won't come to that.

Comment

Working...
                    X