• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Palestinians are getting a smartening...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone explain to me WTF is going on in a single sentence? I asked Mrs BP - who is usually good at this stuff - and she just said "they are fighting". Well they have been fighting since I first watched the news in 1967 - and probably for long before that.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Can anyone explain to me WTF is going on in a single sentence? I asked Mrs BP - who is usually good at this stuff - and she just said "they are fighting". Well they have been fighting since I first watched the news in 1967 - and probably for long before that.
      The land was originally Pallestinion, then in 1800's lots of jews wanted a homeland, so they emigrated to Palestine. Hitler came into power, so more and more jews came into Palestine. Fighting over the territory escalated and the US intervened, rather than give a vote to the people, they decided that they felt bad that the Jews had been abused by Hitler and they had a large Jewish population so they gave a disproportionate amount of land to the Jews and they got all of Palestine except Gaza and the West bank.

Obviously the Palestinians are pretty p*ssed off, another war kicked off in 1967, Israel took the West Bank and Gaza, but eventually gave it back as it is illegal to gain territory through war.

I think it is obvious why the Palestinians are p*ssed off, but Israel know they have the backing of the US, and Palestine have the backing of most Arab states, so has the potential to start world war 3. I am hoping that Obama uses his final term to sort this mess out and risk p*ssing off the jews.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
        The land was originally Pallestinion, then in 1800's lots of jews wanted a homeland, so they emigrated to Palestine. Hitler came into power, so more and more jews came into Palestine. Fighting over the territory escalated and the US intervened, rather than give a vote to the people, they decided that they felt bad that the Jews had been abused by Hitler and they had a large Jewish population so they gave a disproportionate amount of land to the Jews and they got all of Palestine except Gaza and the West bank.

Obviously the Palestinians are pretty p*ssed off, another war kicked off in 1967, Israel took the West Bank and Gaza, but eventually gave it back as it is illegal to gain territory through war.

I think it is obvious why the Palestinians are p*ssed off, but Israel know they have the backing of the US, and Palestine have the backing of most Arab states, so has the potential to start world war 3. I am hoping that Obama uses his final term to sort this mess out and risk p*ssing off the jews.
        So, you don't really know the answer to Brillo's question and thought you'd make some sh!t up?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
          So, you don't really know the answer to Brillo's question and thought you'd make some sh!t up?
          So what part isn't right?

Comment

What happened in 1947 and 1948? Something about a pushy bastard called Ben Gurion. Does that give you a clue?

You fail to mention the blockades in the run up to the Second World War.

The adoption of an antiquated language to add a certain kudos.

The fact that most of Israel's power base is drawn from European Jews.

tulip loads of stuff that is relevant.

Don't forget what the Spanish did in 1492...
            Last edited by SupremeSpod; 19 November 2012, 13:27.

Comment

Some interesting statistics. The current problem for Israel is population shrinkage. It is no longer the land of milk and honey. The problems for the Palestinians are that it was not just their country that was taken, but also their individual homes and land. Israel considers the land theirs but does not give them a vote. In the West Bank there are even separate roads for Jews and Arabs. Can you get more segregated than that?

Immigration to Israel: Table of Contents

The million missing Israelis - Israeli emigration — FMEP
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                What happened in 1947 and 1948? Something about a pushy bastard called Ben Gurion. Does that give you a clue?

You fail to mention the blockades in the run up to the Second World War.

The adoption of an antiquated language to add a certain kudos.

The fact that most of Israel's power base is drawn from European Jews.

tulip loads of stuff that is relevant.

Don't forget what the Spanish did in 1492...
                I think you'll find it goes a little further back.

The Ten Commandments (1956) - IMDb

I'm Spartacus.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Fook me, Palestine per se wasn't a country, more a region and I'd be very surprised to hear people called someone a palestinian, as the area was made up of just about anyone and everyone in that region, from as far afield as russia; it's long been a political, religious cultural and strategic hot potato and has been passed between Jews, Christians and muslims since the dawn of feckin mankind to be frank.

The reason they are fighting is because to Arabs, the idea of judaism is anethema, Arabs are inherently anti semetic and believe that jews want to dispossess of the arabic population (they think they are the indigenous race/creed: they aren't), and they want to wipe them off the face of earth. Strategically, it sits between the old and new worlds really and like Turkey is a gateway to the middle east.

Israel wanted a homeland, and land grabbed.

They hate each other. One side rich, the other side poor.

Factor in the geography, the support (in the way of arms and money for their prophets (suicide bombers)) from other arabic countries nearby and you have, pretty much, perfect conditions for an altercation

Comment

You forgot the bit where Tony Blair was made Middle East Peace Envoy, thus solving the problem and bringing peace and love to the region forever.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You missed the really important bit. The area belonged to the Turks during and after WWI. But the turks (Ottoman empire) came second. So the British, being top dogs, took the land and ruled it. Their aim was to create a jewish homeland, and to create Jordan,then leave, but only after the peoples were mature enough to look after themselves.
                      This gave the Jews a real focal point and a real opportunity. The next big war gave them the training and the moral case. The British needed some persuading that they were ready, but after a few years, they left, and the idea became the reality.
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X