• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Them new fangled transistor compters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Them new fangled transistor compters

Electronic Computer Exhibition

Stone me, OC44 and OC45 transistors in a computer.

I built an audio amp with OC23 transistors.

It sounded quite good.

Just noticed that there's mention of a vey early "Xeronic" printer.

The predecessor of the laser printer.

The result of co-operation between Rank & Xerox.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 22 May 2017, 12:41.

George3 running on Raspberry Pi

Comment

Ahhhh, Eliot processors, brings back some memories. Worked on the 920C with a half ferrite core and half EEPROMS. 14 octal machine instructions and that was your lot, searching link maps for spare bits of memory and having to do stepping stone jumps to get to a big enough piece of contiguous space.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Eliot processors? You must be a lot older than you look!! Think the Elliot 405 was the first I ever worked on.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
          George 3

That's where I started my life in IT.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Eliot processors? You must be a lot older than you look!! Think the Elliot 405 was the first I ever worked on.
            It was some old military kit, designed in the 70s and still in use in the nineties.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              It was some old military kit, designed in the 70s and still in use in the nineties.
              Funny how that old core store is rad hard & comes back to life after you cycle the power.

Unlike dynamic ram.

And speaking of which:

Glenn's Computer Museum

Plated wire memory.

I'd forgotten about that one.

And here's one they've just repaired:

BBC News - Two-tonne Witch computer gets a reboot

Described in today's Metro (that journal of record) as

Originally posted by Some Feckwhit Metro Journalist
              This ramshackle collection of valves, buttons and wires

It doesn't look particularly ramshackle to me.

Originally posted by Aunty Beeb
              The machine first ran in 1951 and was known as the Harwell Dekatron - so named for the valves it used as a memory store.

Although slow - the machine took up to 10 seconds to multiply two numbers - it proved very reliable and often cranked up 80 hours of running time in a week.
              Ah, blinken lights - Dekatrons are neon filled counter valves.

10 seconds per multiply.

Quicker than someone using a mechanical adding machine, I suppose.
              Last edited by zeitghost; 22 May 2017, 12:43.

Comment

Working...
              X