• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from Off the Bench vol. CLI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from Off the Bench vol. CLI

ClientCo still haven't given me unrestricted access to the outside world: to get the image onto my web server I had to SCP it to an EC2 server, then SSH into it and install an FTP client so I could upload it from there
    • How I Might Have Just Become the Newest Urban Legend - Eight-months-pregnant Pamela Ribon went for a massage. She got rather more than she bargained for: "Even though it’s very difficult to climb up on a massage table when you’re eight months pregnant, but I manage to sort of shuffle-scoot between the sheet and the heavy blanket and as I scoot I realize, I’m wet... so I kind of rub at where I’m wet, which is all around this part here of my hips and butt and I’m like, “This is kind of like a gel, maybe I got into some lotion or… but I don’t know. I can’t feel my fingers, so I’m not sure what I’m touching here. So maybe I’ll just smell it. And it smells like semen. And that is because it is semen."

• JavaScript Machines: IBM PC Model 5150 - A full-blown IBM PC emulator, written in JavaScript and running in the browser: "The PCjs simulation above is limited to a maximum simulated clock speed of 4.77Mhz. When the simulation is unlimited (click the "Fast" button twice), it can reach simulated clock speeds over 80Mhz (tested on a 3.4Ghz Intel Core i7)... It's booting the original IBM PC Model 5150 ROM BIOS (no modifications), and it's loading the original MDA/CGA fonts."

• Tribal Rites of the New Saturday Night - This (long) 1976 article by Nik Cohn was the inspiration for the film Saturday Night Fever. Bizarrely, twenty years later, Cohn admitted that: "My story was a fraud. I'd only recently arrived in New York. Far from being steeped in Brooklyn street life, I hardly knew the place. As for Vincent, my story's hero, he was largely inspired by a Shepherd's Bush mod whom I'd known in the Sixties, a one-time king of Goldhawk Road."

• Four people who gained superhuman abilities from brain injuries or missing senses - "At our lab in St. Louis we are working with several people with superhuman abilities, also known as “savant skills.”... The following are four brief stories about some of the individuals we are working with."

• Needs More Naked (Mmm… Marginalia #103) - Medievalist Carl Pyrdum examines some marginalia in the Rothschild Canticles, "Produced for a nun at the turn of the fourteenth century... as an aid to mystical devotions in which images played as central a role as the written word." With nude blokes drawn in the margins.

• Italy Gets a Planet Probe, Part 1 - "Sometimes rare games show up when you least expect them to, not in expensive yahoo.jp auctions, just in the hands of good natured people who want to see them emulated. Planet Probe falls into that category, a PCB was recently sourced by Alberto Grego, in Italy. Some had started to doubt the game really existed, and believed it to be a figment of somebody’s imagination, with the only reported sightings in and around Italy." David Haywood, who does cool stuff for the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator project (MAME), on a recently-recovered arcade game. While you're at his site, check out the archives for loads of interesting stuff to do with old games

• He's Behind You: How Colonel Gaddafi and the Western Establishment Together Created a Pantomime World - "Things come and go in the news cycle like waves of fever. A year ago Colonel Gaddafi was killed and an avalanche of camera phone footage of his last minutes was played again and again on the news channels. Then it stopped - and Gaddafi disappeared off into the dark... What remains is all the footage recording Gaddafi's forty year career as a global weirdo. But the closer you look at the footage and what lies behind it - you begin to discover an odd story that casts a rather unflattering light on many of the elites in both the British and American establishments." Brilliant, exhaustive analysis of Gaddafi's reign by Adam Curtis.

• They Cracked This 250 Year-Old Code, And Found a Secret Society Inside - "The cipher’s complexity was overwhelming: symbols for Saturn and Venus, Greek letters like pi and gamma, oversize ovals and pentagrams... Thirteen years later, in January 2011, Schaefer attended an Uppsala conference on computational linguistics." Which led to Kevin Knight applying his machine translation techniques, and finally cracking the code.

• The Bond Villain’s Lair: Skyfall’s Abandoned Island - "Nearly forty years after people, the Japanese island of Hashima is lifeless, sagging and absolutely uninhabitable to man... If you managed to get past the round-the-block queues outside of cinemas this weekend to catch a screening of the latest Bond film Skyfall, you will have no doubt seen the forsaken island making a rather impressive appearance as the secret lair of Raoul Silva, the dandy but deadly cyberterrorist played by Javier Bardem. And as we unravel the dark history of the island, Hashima’s sinister new movie role will begin to make perfect sense." Yet another abandoned city; it's remarkable how many of these places there are.

• Windows 95 Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks - Neil Cicierega exposes the dark side of the operating system:

Happy invoicing!

Jolly good that man. I was in danger of having to do some work this afternoon.

Comment

massage - ewww...

top links
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So that's how you get a free massage.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          massage - ewww...

top links
          Yeah, ewwwwwww.

Just two sheets!?!? WTF!?!!?!
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I went to college with a guy who claimed he was born of a virgin.

Went into quite graphic detail about how his mum got preggers without actually 'doing it'.

His father was a dentist IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              So that's how you get a free massage.
              Free! I reckon you will get paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                I went to college with a guy who claimed he was born of a virgin.

Went into quite graphic detail about how his mum got preggers without actually 'doing it'.

His father was a dentist IIRC.
                Possible. http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...iving-man.html

All that is needed is a turkey baster.

Comment

Working...
                X