• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone taken on a tenant direct that they got through an agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
    So does that insurance also cover things like boiler cover etc as well? or do you take out seperate cover for that? I would have thought if its an insurance policy and you need to put in a claim for the boiler as a bit died on it then that's going to knacker your no claims etc come the subsequent year when you need to renew and obviously a boiler breakdown is a lot more likely to happen than someone trashing the property (hopefully!?!)
    Here's a small breakdown of the cover:
    • Full rebuilding cover
      • Accidental damage to service
      • Subsidence
      • Burst pipes
      • Damage by emergency services
      • loss of rent following insured event (£20000)
    • Home emergency cover (£500) (including accomodation for the tenant) - Boiler dying, heating failing in winter, water leak, roof torn off in wind, etc, etc
    • Liability (£2m)
    • Contents (metered oil, stuff in shed, etc)

We're pretty happy with the cover. If the chaps stiff us for rent, we have cover for £25k worth o rent missed, and legal cover to get them out.

Thats £254 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      • Full rebuilding cover
        • Subsidence
        • Burst pipes
      • Home emergency cover (£500) (including accomodation for the tenant) - Boiler dying, heating failing in winter, water leak, roof torn off in wind, etc, etc
      • Liability (£2m)

We're pretty happy with the cover. If the chaps stiff us for rent, we have cover for £25k worth o rent missed, and legal cover to get them out.

Thats £254 a year.

Who's that with, looks a bit more comprehensive than what I have currently not to mention some tulip insurance for the rental cover the agent has hit us with.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        Is anyone renting out property direct? Any sites that they could recommend looking at?
        I rent direct but its local so I can vet the tenants myself and handle any issues. Quite a bit tougher to go it alone if you aren't local, I probably wouldn't do it in that case but !? Depends how relaxed you are if the tulip hits the fan and the phone is ringing.

I found everything I needed on here FREE tenancy agreements and FREE landlords software from Property Hawk including the credit checking stuff by Alan Boswell.

Comment

• Full rebuilding cover
            • Subsidence
            • Burst pipes
          • Liability (£2m)

Thats £254 a year.
          I'd be very interested in who that is with as well, if you don't mind sharing

Would a claim for a boiler repair knacker your no claims though?

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
            I'd be very interested in who that is with as well, if you don't mind sharing

Would a claim for a boiler repair knacker your no claims though?
            I guess it would, but it's cheap.

It's with the Halifax; the wife found it. They tried to up it this year, but we said we'd go elsewhere and they reduced it slightly, so we're paying around £20 a month now.

Comment

I guess it would, but it's cheap.

It's with the Halifax; the wife found it. They tried to up it this year, but we said we'd go elsewhere and they reduced it slightly, so we're paying around £20 a month now.
              Hmmm, do they cover non resident landlords, as I remember that was a bit of a problem.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                Hmmm, do they cover non resident landlords, as I remember that was a bit of a problem.
                Not too sure Norrahe. We're the over side of the country, but not abroad. I guess you could gie soemone right of atorney, or whatever it is called.

Give them a call.

Comment

Working...
                X