• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IS the finance industry in the UK permanently dead - or just ill?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment banking in the UK is currently undergoing a structural change. I don't think anyone knows for sure exactly where it's going to end up only that it'll employ a great deal less people and certainly not be as lucrative for those working inside it.

Those people being made redundant from IBs now, a lot of them will never return to the industry.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

The city is probably dead. But those of us in Belgravia are doing great thanks.

Comment

Was the industry ever really profitable?

It would be interesting to add up the profits of the major investment banks over the 10 years prior to the 2008 bust and compare with the losses racked up during the bail out.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

It would be interesting to add up the profits of the major investment banks over the 10 years prior to the 2008 bust and compare with the losses racked up during the bail out.
          WHS.

The only creation of wealth has been the creation of money supply. No net increase in "wealth" can ever come out of it.

Comment

It's resizing to a sensible size. Though the gov are doing their very best to try and prevent this.
            Last edited by Robinho; 20 November 2012, 13:44.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Nassim Taleb argues that "with current International Monetary Fund estimates of the costs of the 2007-2008 subprime crisis, the banking system seems to have lost more on risk taking (from the failures of quantitative risk management) than every penny banks ever earned taking risks."
              http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/tale...b08_index.html

I don't know if he's right. Maybe those with more knowledge than me (or perhaps more than Nassim Taleb, which would really be a Black Swan on CUK) could enlighten me.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Dead, not just UK, globally. Will always be jobs in it, but golden years are well and truly over, never to return.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  Dead, not just UK, globally. Will always be jobs in it, but golden years are well and truly over, never to return.
                  This^

Just like Contracting.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                    This^

Just like Contracting.
                    Couldn't comment, been a few years, and contracting out in Singapore pays less and are viewed with little regard. I'm 3 years+ permie now, quite enjoying it strangely enough.
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X