• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All Umbrellas are dodgy - avoid them all at your risk....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Umbrellas are dodgy - avoid them all at your risk....

Using the logic of prominent umbrella company posters here...

If one Umbrella company is dodgy and provides poor service then ALL umbrella companies are dodgy and provide poor service.

I recommend anyone considering going umbrella not to do so. A few reasons:

1. They cannot be trusted and are dodgy - see opening justification.
    2. You will make more money running your own limited company.
    3. It is HIGHER risk to have another company involved in handling your money. Another person who can go broke and not have to pay you.
    4. Hiring an accountant makes ltd very easy - and see point 2.
    5. Umbrella companies scare monger over IR35 for their benefit. This should be reason enough to avoid someone who has to use these tactics.

This thread should be a sticky as it provides a simple resoinse to the continous questions we have here about whether someone should use an umbrella.

Using the logic of prominent umbrella company posters here...

If one Umbrella company is dodgy and provides poor service then ALL umbrella companies are dodgy and provide poor service.

I recommend anyone considering going umbrella not to do so. A few reasons:

1. They cannot be trusted and are dodgy - see opening justification.
    2. You will make more money running your own limited company.
    3. It is HIGHER risk to have another company involved in handling your money. Another person who can go broke and not have to pay you.
    4. Hiring an accountant makes ltd very easy - and see point 2.
    5. Umbrella companies scare monger over IR35 for their benefit. This should be reason enough to avoid someone who has to use these tactics.

This thread should be a sticky as it provides a simple resoinse to the continous questions we have here about whether someone should use an umbrella.
    This post is just awful. If one is dodgy they are all dodgy? What kind of argument is that? And you refer to that justification as you main reason not to go with them. Gotta be the most ridiculous argument I have seen for a long time.

I don't even think it is worth going through any of the reasons. Far to much to get in to.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Trolling in the professional forums? Not a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        This post is just awful. If one is dodgy they are all dodgy? What kind of argument is that? And you refer to that justification as you main reason not to go with them. Gotta be the most ridiculous argument I have seen for a long time.

I don't even think it is worth going through any of the reasons. Far to much to get in to.
        NorthernLad - you quite often don't read and comprehend a whole post.

Read the first sentence. I am using the logic of someone elses crusade against "dodgey offshore schemes". THe arguments are rudimetary for a reason.

Please refer me to the search engines..... That is always your best response.
        Last edited by prozak; 21 November 2012, 11:17.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
          NorthernLad - you quite often don't read and comprehend a whole post.

Read the first sentence. I am using the logic of someone elses crusade against "dodgey offshore schemes". THe arguments are rudimetary for a reason.

Please refer me to the search engines..... That is always your best response.
          My apologies, so this is really this is a troll post aimed at one poster. The fact anyone else not knowing the history of this could construe it as advice is neither here nor there?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've moved this to General as it's not helpful to those people who want to use umbrellas for a variety of reasons.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

eh?

Comment

It's an opinion and as such is open to debate. In General.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Not all brollys are offshore dodgy ones. So your logic fails there.

However, it's point 3 that swings the argument for me.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Take a look at this thread for the pros and cons of umbrellas.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...composite.html which IS a sticky.

I'm happy for you to add a post to this thread prozak, but it will need to be better thought out than this.

As I said people use umbrellas for a variety of reasons, and not all umbrellas are dodgy (you could at least list a set of criteria that you think makes up a dodgy umbrella).

Comment

Working...
                    X