• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

horrible day in the office :( got any jokes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

horrible day in the office :( got any jokes?

Worst day in an office for months for me, today.

Starts with a meeting with the permie team here - brought up that they are unhappy that I distanced myself from them in a meeting with another 3rd party (I introduced myself as a consultant , working with the team during this project).

I say we have a B2B arrangement and I am a freelancer, to which the retort is "no you dont, youre a team member and you'll ruddy well work every day then, as you do what we say"

Then in meeting two, we discuss how everyones out for at least two weeks in December for christmas and project movement is expected to be slow. Everyone here lives locally, my family is 250 miles away.

The team manager then states, in front of the whole meeting "xxxx, I want you in for the majority of christmas" Then goes onto say hes off from the 14th till January and sparks a conversation about everyones christmas breaks.

I've had problems with clients understanding the difference between FTE and contract, but today, in meetings with so many people to say I'm effectively a "contract" FTE is mental.

I loved it here too, but can see this being very problematic going forward. I've not had to deal with someone trying to control my working time as much as this for years.

Anyone got any good cheery news / jokes?

ah meant for general, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
      Worst day in an office for months for me, today.

Starts with a meeting with the permie team here - brought up that they are unhappy that I distanced myself from them in a meeting with another 3rd party (I introduced myself as a consultant , working with the team during this project).

I say we have a B2B arrangement and I am a freelancer, to which the retort is "no you dont, youre a team member and you'll ruddy well work every day then, as you do what we say"

Then in meeting two, we discuss how everyones out for at least two weeks in December for christmas and project movement is expected to be slow. Everyone here lives locally, my family is 250 miles away.

The team manager then states, in front of the whole meeting "xxxx, I want you in for the majority of christmas" Then goes onto say hes off from the 14th till January and sparks a conversation about everyones christmas breaks.

I've had problems with clients understanding the difference between FTE and contract, but today, in meetings with so many people to say I'm effectively a "contract" FTE is mental.

I loved it here too, but can see this being very problematic going forward. I've not had to deal with someone trying to control my working time as much as this for years.

Anyone got any good cheery news / jokes?
      There seems to be a few bored agents around at the moment. Change your status on Jobserve and watch the mood change rapidly as calls arrive.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

get over yourself. contractors are employees they can get rid of when they want. If it weren't for that there wouldn't be contracting

Comment

Thanks for the advice to get over myself.

I am NOT an employee and you confuse a freelancer with a temp. IR35 rules (not that I care too much about them) and the general premise of being a consultant means you consult.

I am paid out of the budget of a particular project and are free to dictate how you work; as long as you deliver the objectives. In this role I'm actually working on a cost recovery model, so I should only charge what I gain the client in savings from his other 3rd parties / infrastructure.

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/light...okes-here.html

HTH

Comment

why did the tortoise cross the road

Comment

Originally posted by stevejohnson View Post
                get over yourself. contractors are employees they can get rid of when they want. If it weren't for that there wouldn't be contracting
                Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Just tell him politely you'll unfortunately not be able to make it and give him the dates when you are available. Take at least a week off.

It's the only way.

I mean if he threatens you with the sack fair enough give in and do it, but the point is by making him threaten you with the sack, you win a partial victory. It's a bit of one up man ship, if he has to threaten you it means he's lost it a bit, and that always makes people feel small.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Is there a lot anyone can do about this. I mean if there is a lot of work about, then you can dictate the terms. But if you are lucky to have a contract in the first place and the client behaves like this, then what can you do?

It's a case of: accept you're caught by IR35 or have no income.

Comment

Working...
                    X