• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A list of all the famous people I've seen and met. Can you do better?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeh, the Who were there, - me too!
    Bleedin 'eck, BR14 you must be almost as ancient as me.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

My list would be huge, as a result of a 9 month gig at the Beeb about 10 years ago, but a list of the celebs I've actually met and spoken to is still quite long.

Little Richard
      Vince Cable
      James May
      Jimmy Tarbuck
      Tim West and Prunella Scales
      Big Ron Atkinson and Gary Newbon from ITV Sport
      Matt Lucas
      Charlie George, Frank McLintock, Sammy Nelson & Bob Wilson.
      Henry Cooper
      JPR Williams
      Forrest Whittaker
      Giles Coren
      Jeremy Corbyn
      Jason Plato & Paul O'Neill (racing drivers)
      Ex Page 3 girl Sarah Jaffer
      Audley Harrison
      Dermot Reeve (cricketer)
      Claire Balding
      Bobby Robson
      John McCririck
      Alan Hansen
      Ronnie Barker
      There are plenty more that I've forgotten.

Some of the people I've been within a few feet of but not actually spoken to: Dickie Attenborough (I did shake his hand), Clarkson, Richard E. Grant, Emma Thompson, Dara O'Briain, Eamon Holmes, John Terry, Neil Pearson and the lass from Drop the Dead Donkey he was shagging at the time, George Galloway, Katy Perry, Heston Blumenthal, Adrian Chiles, Martin Freeman, Bernie Ecclestone, John Barnes, Steve McLaren, Gordon Ramsey, Ray Wilkins, Graham Taylor, Kenny Everitt, The Edge from U2, and those are the only ones I can remember.
      Last edited by Mordac; 12 April 2018, 23:52. Reason: Added some more as I remember them
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If you lived in central London for some years then you get to see and even speak to quite a few famous people.

I've met quite a few MPs. Had a lengthy & boozy argument with Michael Howard MP once about the EU.

Flirted outrageously with Liv Tyler in a hotel bar for a while (she is lovely).

Ian Hislop was Head Boy at my old school (he's fantastic at cricket).

Used to party with quite a few TV presenters from the '90s but they are all married with kids now, like me really. (except the divorced ones)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Bleedin 'eck, BR14 you must be almost as ancient as me.
          Yeh, but i've got a painting in my attic

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I've met Mudskipper.

/thread
            I'm sure you can do better than that
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
              If you lived in central London for some years then you get to see and even speak to quite a few famous people.

I've met quite a few MPs. Had a lengthy & boozy argument with Michael Howard MP once about the EU.

Flirted outrageously with Liv Tyler in a hotel bar for a while (she is lovely).

Ian Hislop was Head Boy at my old school (he's fantastic at cricket).

Used to party with quite a few TV presenters from the '90s but they are all married with kids now, like me really. (except the divorced ones)
              Yes, I used to work round the corner from the production company that did HIGNFY and other programmes so often used to see Angus Deayton and Ian Hislop as I breezed along Charlotte Street.

Comment

I've forgot - I've actually seen the real PhilTheGreek very close up. And he didn't make an offence joke!!

Didn't bother trying to talk to him after hearing he doesn't like people brown nosing.

I've met others but if you live in London then depending on what you do and where you are, you will always bump into someone famous. Though sometimes you are just thinking "Why do I recognise that person?" before you realise who they are.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just a couple of mentions:
                  My first bank manager (and friend of the family) was famous for calling out a particular number in South Africa many years ago. All he wanted was a flake.

Chatted to Van Morrison (grumpy git) at Bob Dylan's 50th birthday party.

Used to do charity ski races with Martin Bell (the skier, not the newsman/politician)

Once helped Jeremy Clarkson get through passport control when he was going to the Bugatti factory. I knew the immigration guy in the VIP lane, so told Clarkson to follow me, as I walked through, I just said "he's with me".

Shared a light aircraft with Kate Humble in Kenya. Her husband and my wife were also on the flight.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    I'm sure you can do better than that
                    She's a respectable married lady. I would be remiss of me to reveal any further details...

Or is that not what you were alluding to?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've seen the following in real life, many looked miserable.. head down etc

Never spoken to or met any famous person but I have walked past the following or seen them on the street / a public venue not doing a gig except for Eddie Izzard and John Malkovich that had a short Q/A after a movie screening.

1) Andy Serkis (Gollum) at Camden Town Odeon when he was waiting alone, arms crossed for someone to go and see a movie he was in about WWI trench warfare (forgot the movie but he was in it). He was dressed head to toe in blue denim.
                      2) Jonathan Ross - on the streets of London looking very flamboyant wearing a very long sheep skin coat.
                      3) Cecil Parkinson - on the steps of the entrance hall of a Gentleman's club late at night near Soho / Covent Garden, creepily looking directly at me. I thought to myself, no I am not your bastard son.
                      4) Victoria Wood - walking alone looking miserable after some media job obviously around Soho, London.
                      5) Tony Blackburn - walking alone looking miserable around Euston London.
                      6) Nick Hancock (ex Have I got News For You presenter, then sold insurance I think or became an estate agent)- crossing Oxford Street London and giving me a funny look directly at me.
                      7) Prince Edward - he was followed closely by a security guard going down some rear exit passage (if you pardon the phrase), he gave me a dirty look.
                      8) Ruby Wax - she did some office show thing for Christmas, I didn't go see it but I saw her leave the building.
                      9) John Malkovich - not really public in that it was a private screening of interview with the vampire and he was standing next to Eddie Izzard, Eddie Towered over John who was a little fella. John said that Eddie was 'such a babe' when asked what it was like working with him.
                      10) Dame Maggie Smith, she was standing outside a pub door alone in Chelsea just staring at me just before lunchtime. With those bulging eyes !
                      11) Ex Swimmer / presenter Sharon Davies looking miserable (head down) walking alone after some Soho media job.
                      12) American Actress Mena Suvari (American Beauty), head down looking miserable around Knightsbridge, London.
                      13) Paul Merton, leaving the comedy store in London, swearing a lot.
                      14) Presenter Iain Lee, looking miserable on the London Underground Tube in the morning.
                      15) Iggy Pop in Camden Town market doing some shopping with peroxide blonde hair.
                      16) Arthur Smith (Grumpy Old Men comedian on TV) at a cinema in Soho with a fit black lady.
                      17) Bill Nighy walking down South Kensington with a young female admirer and he suggesting that they 'go get coffee'.
                      18) Frank Skinner with his wife and a pram around London, Pimlico, looking miserable (must have been after that financial scam he got hit by). Wife looked very ordinary.
                      19) Chris Evans at his stall in Camden Town when he was selling all his belongings after the Billie Piper divorce, no one was at his stall looking at his goods and he looked a bit hapless really.
                      20) Jeff Minter of Commodore 64 Llama Soft fame at a Commodore Amiga exhibition.
                      21) Rich Hall (American comedian settled in the UK) at a Camden Town self storage center.
                      22) Ralph Fiennes walking with someone around Covent Garden, looked almost unrecognizable as he had lost a lot of hair since his Schindler's List days.

late entry...
                      23) I forgot to mention Boris Johnson ... it was early in the morning around Monument London and ironically he was on a Boris Bike, he gave me a funny look and then cycled past.
                      24) Also I forgot to mention Jarvis Cocker, he was cycling down the Totteham Court road with his glasses and he looked at me and smirked at me and my then thick plastic black designer spectacles (which were like NHS glasses from the 80s).

It seems that celebs are either looking utterly miserable with their heads down or want to give me strange looks; there seems to me no middle ground... maybe a psychologist could explain it to me.
                      Last edited by sbakoola; 16 April 2018, 22:58.

Comment

Working...
                      X