• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's been in a band and why.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in a choir - not really a band but as close as I can get. Still am technically a member but do not attend rehersals due to time contraints with the kids. Have sung at a few places.

Am due to sing What a Wonderful World at my brother in law's wedding next year so I had better learn the words soon.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Thing is about drums there is no holding back, every limb is asked to be involved and expected to produce notes, there is not some fly dodge you can get away with.

When you get good you are capable of hitting, maybe, 6 things a second, when you get really good you hit 6 things every 4 bars.
      Absolutely ....if you want to play real rock´n´roll/rockabilly you need a good drummer.

I enjoy the challenge of getting a band to sound good, it´s like surfing and looking for the perfect wave....and when you hit the groove It´s that feeling you have the audience under control, you can "push buttons" and see them "dance" to your tune

The acoustics makes a big difference I´m finding. Everytime I think I´ve found a perfect setting on my guitar it sounds completely sh*te in the next venue. I´hope now I´ve got the hang of that.

Playing with a fairly new drummer next week, I´m going to have to work on him, his beats weren´t flowing the last time too much "Rolling Stones" influence, mind you the setup on my guitar was total sh*te, didn´t help, the solos weren´t coming through. The ballads sounded good. But we did not have the audience with us.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        You only need to kid the punters on not yourself
        Eh? Can you explain further or say it again in English?!

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Thing is about drums there is no holding back, every limb is asked to be involved and expected to produce notes, there is not some fly dodge you can get away with.

When you get good you are capable of hitting, maybe, 6 things a second, when you get really good you hit 6 things every 4 bars.
        To take a break from insulting you, I do think the stereotype of the 'dumb drummer' is daft. I've never really tried drums properly, but when I have mucked about I find my foot keeps time for about one bar after I start playing anything else! Are you literally thinking 4 parallel thoughts for each limb, or does it not work that way in your head?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          The acoustics makes a big difference I´m finding. Everytime I think I´ve found a perfect setting on my guitar it sounds completely sh*te in the next venue. I´hope now I´ve got the hang of that.
          Other guitar player in our band just got a Boss GT 10 multi effects thingy. I was sceptical at first but the patches are spot on. I'm hoping to get some of these for xmas: RedWitch Seven Sisters
          Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Eh? Can you explain further or say it again in English?!
            Regardless of your technical prowess or lack of it it's the ability to get up there and entertain.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Regardless of your technical prowess or lack of it it's the ability to get up there and entertain.
              Now I'm definitely screwed

The draw of live performance has never really been there for me, if I was in music I reckon I'd do it as a recluse.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Hit the nail on the head there.

I, for example, was at a Open Mic night recently. Quite drunk I must admit, but the guys there, mostly Students, were going up singing about the woes of paying their student loans etc and received a smatter of applause from the audience. I (far from a student!) went up about shouted "I'm Chris, and I'm an alcoholic!" - and the crowd roared and loved it. I knocked out a three set of Neil Diamond, Pearl Jam and Stereophonics and it went down better than all of the other gigs there with some great applause.

I wouldn't mind but I could barely see the strings at that point!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                  Hit the nail on the head there.

I, for example, was at a Open Mic night recently. Quite drunk I must admit, but the guys there, mostly Students, were going up singing about the woes of paying their student loans etc and received a smatter of applause from the audience. I (far from a student!) went up about shouted "I'm Chris, and I'm an alcoholic!" - and the crowd roared and loved it. I knocked out a three set of Neil Diamond, Pearl Jam and Stereophonics and it went down better than all of the other gigs there with some great applause.

I wouldn't mind but I could barely see the strings at that point!

And I was exceedingly, disgustingly drunk!
                  Ftfy, par for the course there Chris old boy.

Comment

Working...
                  X