• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zwarte Piet - Dutch Racism or Harmless fun?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zwarte Piet - Dutch Racism or Harmless fun?

Discuss.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Widow Twankey - British Sexism or Harmless fun?

Comment

KUATB

Its a different matter if you live here and see how it is perceived.

Oompa Loompas - poking fun at those of whom are staturally challenged or harmless fun

Last edited by norrahe; 7 December 2012, 12:33.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        KUATB

Its a different matter if you live here and see how it is perceived.
        So you're denying it then?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          So you're denying it then?
          I don't particularly care about it.

I find it amusing that such a reserved and god fearing country have this.

But that's the Cloggies for ya!
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I know a few black people in NL and none of them are really very happy about Zwarte Piet, but they also have better things to do with their lives than complain or protest about it. I think they just tolerate it.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              I know a few black people in NL and none of them are really very happy about Zwarte Piet, but they also have better things to do with their lives than complain or protest about it. I think they just tolerate it.
              I was quite shocked when I first saw it, but then I used to live in a country that is PC gone mad.

It's got a lot of history going back to slavery etc... but this isn't going to change overnight.

So you just accept that its there and move on.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                I was quite shocked when I first saw it, but then I used to live in a country that is PC gone mad.

It's got a lot of history going back to slavery etc... but this isn't going to change overnight.

So you just accept that its there and move on.
                Yep, that's exactly what black friends say. Somehow I think that's a more advanced attitude than blacking up and acting like a moron while talking in a faux Caribbean accent.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yep, that's exactly what black friends say. Somehow I think that's a more advanced attitude than blacking up and acting like a moron while talking in a faux Caribbean accent.
                  Last year I had the (dis)pleasure of being chatted up in a cafe by Groote Piet, Midden Piet and Kleine Piet, the image of 3 varying size gents sitting at the bar in size order in Zwarte Piet costume was disturbing.

And I look forward to next year people kicking off about it all over again.

I think people are surprised that the Dutch tolerate this, they have this outward perception of an easy going all encompassing nation, that wouldn't put up with this, but the truth is they are formal, tolerant to a point (as long as you abide by the rules) and can be very old fashioned.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Please Tell Eminem & co.
                    Last edited by vetran; 7 December 2012, 14:57. Reason: I was jamming n....
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X