• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The End of Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The decline is not over by a long way. And it might turn violent yet.
    I often wonder what the cost of corruption is.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Is this the Daily Mail thread?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
        I've not read the whole article (it's loooong!!), but... does it matter if the stock market falls 50 percent as long as it recovers before I need to start drawing my pension?
        Did you read as far as the bit about nationalising private pensions?

Recession or not, BTL boom or not, people still need petrol for their cars, telephone services, medicines, computers, utilities, and various other essentials, ...
        most of which are imported, including a large proportion of our food.

So with a big trade deficit, that means net payments to other countries with money the UK increasingly doesn't have ...
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Not only was it the greatest empire ever, in terms of power and extent
          but the greatest acheivement was that it managed it's own decline in such a delicate and nice way.

That NEVER happened before. that was/is a triumph of civilisised behaviour

anyone who has any sense of history would be damned proud to be British

It was hardly an empire, I think the british have rose tinted spectacles, the Roman Empire was magnificent and went down with real fight. The British empire lasted until someone said boo, and told them to get to fook.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
            It was hardly an empire, I think the british have rose tinted spectacles, the Roman Empire was magnificent and went down with real fight. The British empire lasted until someone said boo, and told them to get to fook.
            The Romans struggled to get past the north side of Glasgow, they built 2 walls to keep us back.

Comment

Only defensive mode the Romans adopted in a teritory, picts used to charge them, lob a few italian arms off and by the time the Romans had formed defensive poistions the hairy arsed scots had bolted up a hill.

Comment

2000 years later and Glasgow is still pretty much the same.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  The older I get the more time I have for Britain.
                  The older I get the more I hate what it has become and how it has been ruined by the lefties.

Will be reading the article this morning though.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                    The older I get the more I hate what it has become and how it has been ruined by the lefties.
                    Well said that man.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
                      ...The British empire lasted until someone said boo, ...
                      until it stopped being profitable to the UK, and became a net drain, which was about 1880 ..

Thereafter it was just habit, and people not keeping up with the reality.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X