• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virgin Upgrades

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin Upgrades

No i'm not talking about loosing your virginity before any of you start.

Going to america in 2 weeks because recently got mrs cooperinliverp00l a new kitchen and me a new TV we are having to fly economy.

I have never flown with Virgin so wondered what they are like and what are the chances of me getting a seat upgrade to business or 1st class (i'm 6ft tall with long legs)

Do you get free drinks in economy ?

Your chances of getting to first class are about nil

However...there is no harm in asking if you can be upgraded. I always ask and it has worked once (once being better than never .

Not sure about the drinks though, I would suspect that they will be free. Best to check their website and see what you get in cattle class.

Regards

Mailman

Comment

Is there a good way to sweet talk them before asking for the upgrade or should i just come out with it and say.

SHOW ME THOSE BIG SEATS and MORE LEG ROOM

PLEASE

Comment

I have never flown on Virgin but have flown many times on American, a couple of times on Delta and once on BA. All charge for alcoholic drinks in cattle class. When I first started going over the pond I used to travel business class all the time and often used to get moved up to first. The trick is to travel outside the normal commuting days. Try to avoid Mondays and Fridays as most people on business tend to go out there for the full week.

You could try the old honeymoon/anniversary trick and blag an upgrade. Obviously this only works if you are travelling with somebody of the opposite sex.

Since 911 and the drop in profits for the airlines, I think the airlines have reduced the number of upgrades. Last year I was travelling to Orange County on a regular basis and always in cattle class. Despite being a platinum AA member I only got one upgrade. Often there were seats free in business but they just didn't seem to want to upgrade anybody.

Comment

I’ve never been charged for drinks in BA economy. Be very surprised if Virgin charge.

To get an upgrade you generally have to look the part, and it helps if you are in the appropriate frequent flyer club. Was once coming back from Sydney. Waiting at the gate when the staff arrived (all men and all looking very stressed). A very attractive Aussie girl wandered off to the toilet and came back having changed into an incredibly tight top. She wandered up to the gate staff and came back with an upgrade.

This site should have the answers.

Comment

Thers no such thing as a free upgared on a flight from the UK.

If you get upgraded from cattle class to luxury class you immediatley get stung for the higher rate APD, so the airline gives you a tax bill for 30 quid to pay.

Having said that, I agree with the other poster. The chances of someone who has no prior record of flying Virgin, booked in standard economy has less chance of an upgrade than winning the lottery.

tim

Comment

i'm 6ft tall with long legs
              Does not compute, it's a universally accepted fact all scousers are 5ft 6 shell suited skinheads

Comment

I've flown Virgin to America & am 6' 4" tall - but had to pay extra to secure an 'enhanced' legroom seat - basically a seat by the door

Comment

"Is there a good way to sweet talk them before asking for the upgrade or should i just come out with it and say."

Pay for it you tight coont. If you cannot afford to pay the upgrade you are obviously a dismal failure.

MF in 'Business class all the way for me' Mode.

Comment

If you get upgraded from cattle class to luxury class you immediatley get stung for the higher rate APD, so the airline gives you a tax bill for 30 quid to pay.
                    Eh? I've never been charged. I get upgraded regularly by KLM (although on the flight from Bristol to Amsterdam the difference is basically a curtain). Still, at least I get to use the lounge (which is 3rd party at Bristol and KLM get billed 18 quid for).

Comment

Working...
                    X