• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We apologise for the late arrival of Global Warming....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Worth remembering that the 'barbecue summer' debacle was about precipitation - the forecast was for above average temperatures and average or low rainfall, they got the precipitation badly wrong, but the temperatures spot-on.

Summer forecast 2009 - Met Office
    Summer 2009 round-up - Met Office
    so a bit like this prediction then:

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent

Isn´t climate science fun...
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Its not just that

these are the fools who told us that new jersey would be under 15m of water in 2040
      thats just 17 years away now folks.

The galciers would melt in the himalayas

The UK would have rain - drought - rain.

How can the met office tell us, with a straight face, that they dont know why global warming has stalled, but they know for certain that the temperatures will go up by 2 degrees c in 80 years time

and why oh why are they getting involved in politics in the first place ??

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        How can the met office tell us, with a straight face, that they dont know why global warming has stalled, but they know for certain that the temperatures will go up by 2 degrees c in 80 years time

and why oh why are they getting involved in politics in the first place ??

Modelling. Takes a lot of processing so it takes a lot of money. So they get the millions from somewhere, who cares about the data they use to build their wee models that can show anything with the tiniest change in the data. Ah but, what data are they shoving into their algorythms? So the models fit a political agenda? So the models accurately predict actual observed patterns (impossible)?

Pissing in the wind otherwise known as bullsh!t.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

In 2012 the UK had the most daily average temperatures since records began.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Replace the Met Office with this.

Comment

I think the tax payer stumps up about 200m per year iirc.

and for OH and the other hard of thinking - somewhere, every day, some record is being broken. It's been the same since time began

but one surely must raise an eyebrow at continued breaking of records in the weather, no? If every year records are being broken, in the weather, surely this means something is changing.

I'll resist the opportunity to add, for the hard of thinking.

Its not just that

these are the fools who told us that new jersey would be under 15m of water in 2040
              thats just 17 years away now folks.

The UK would have rain - drought - rain.

27 years away EO, 27.

And last year, didn't we have, rain, drought, rain. I, personally, cannot remember so much rain. When I moved into West Somerset, on the levels, I was told not to worry about snow, then we had 2 weeks of constant snow, with old people saying they'd not seen anything like it.

Of course, you have the States continually getting hotter summers, and more storms. Australia recording record summer after record summer.

But nothing's wrong. Every year records keep getting broken, it's just whay happens, there's no trends being set.

By the way, The Met Office makes a profit per se. In the way it records its benefits. It charges the CAA and other Aviation authorities, including the European one. It is paid for other services, of a more clandestine nature, and other countries pay for it's use. They also charge for their Maritime service, and have premium rate numbers for marine forecasts.

According to the PA Consulting Group, the Met Office costs us £88m a year, but returns £363m. A profit. The Hadley centre and the costs of its new supercomputers were not considered part of it's annual costs.

However, I am not a supporter of climate change, nor do I mock it, as I am not a scientist. But what I do do, is look at what's happening with my own eyes and even I think the weather has changed over the past 40 years. It just has. Whether this is just a normal variance, or climate change (possibly the same thing), it just has changed.

Comment

That's my point , entirely. Things change.

They change for natural reasons, always have, always will do.

Why and where do you get the notion that the climate should be stable ?

And judging climate by your own experience is human, but its not scientific. The met office has records going back to 1776, and this last years rain in England is not unusual.

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

The white line

The white line is the met office predictions. notice how everytime they produce a new graph, the old predictions are changed to make them look accurate.

according to the met office, they even predicted the mt pinutobo volcano

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

That's my point , entirely. Things change.

They change for natural reasons, always have, always will do.

Why and where do you get the notion that the climate should be stable ?

And judging climate by your own experience is human, but its not scientific. The met office has records going back to 1776, and this last years rain in England is not unusual.

I don't think you understand my point: If things change every year, if records break every year, then there is change afoot. I know the climate is a constantly shifting beast, but if the trend is moving up all the time, then there's something going on. I don't think the climate, for a minute, is stable, but I do think the changes have been fast and furious of late.

Last years rain WAS unusual, i.e. it was the second wettest on record. Second I hear you say, but this was after a long, and unusual drought, so we got the second wettest year on record, after 4 months of record drought; rain-drought-rain. The very thing you mocked them saying.

Comment

second wettest ?

what caused the first
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                      X