• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a place

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firstly I didn't read the whole thread.

Personally I always offer an insultingly low amount prior to negotiating my way up.

I would be gutted if they accepted my first offer as you then know you could probably have saved more.

Good luck with the flat hunt.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      Firstly I didn't read the whole thread.

Personally I always offer an insultingly low amount prior to negotiating my way up.

I would be gutted if they accepted my first offer as you then know you could probably have saved more.

Good luck with the flat hunt.
      Did anybody see Kirtsy and Phil's efforts at haggling last night, they are absolutely USELESS.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
        Did anybody see Kirtsy and Phil's efforts at haggling last night, they are absolutely USELESS.
        Didn't see it last night, but on the occasions I have I always think 5k off asking price for first offer, what tulip, I'd be trying for £20-25k off.

My current house was on at 450k, I started at £350k and ended up at £390k. Must admit I still think we over paid, but hey we're happy where we are.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Didn't see it last night, but on the occasions I have I always think 5k off asking price for first offer, what tulip, I'd be trying for £20-25k off.

My current house was on at 450k, I started at £350k and ended up at £390k. Must admit I still think we over paid, but hey we're happy where we are.
          You always think you've paid too much once you buy it. I certainly did with my current house, the Mrs was pregnant and in nesting mode, and I buckled and paid over the odds

When buying BTL/development stuff it's a lot easier to be ruthless, offer low and walk away, don't raise your offer, if they don't come back then move on.

Comment

We sold a house a few years back, in 2002. Chap came in at £100k under. We asked the agent to tell him not to bother bidding again. Sold for asking. Different times I must admit, but if an original offer offended me, I'd know the person was after the house on the cheap and would simply not allow him to bid anymore, as you know that it's going to be laborious and painful. Unless, of course, my arse was hanging out and I had to sell, but those are different circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              You always think you've paid too much once you buy it. I certainly did with my current house, the Mrs was pregnant and in nesting mode, and I buckled and paid over the odds

When buying BTL/development stuff it's a lot easier to be ruthless, offer low and walk away, don't raise your offer, if they don't come back then move on.
              Absolutely agree 100%.

As soon as sentiment comes in, you're fooked

Comment

Working...
              X