• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No contractor notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No contractor notice period

I want to get a feel for how common/uncommon this is or is becoming in the industry and would appreciate feedback.

Basically I've just been lucky enough to secure a new contract. On reviewing the schedule I noticed there is a notice period of 1 week for the client but it states that the "supplier cannot terminate the contract". I obviously queried this with my agent and said that I'd be unhappy signing the contract without a termination clause from my side. After what felt like hours on the phone with the agency it basically boiled down to either sign it or you don't get the contract!!

From what I can make out looking at t'internet it's fairly common for the termination clause to be mutually reciprocal and it's uncommon to have no termination clause for the contractor. I fully understand and appreciate that at the end of the day I don't have to sign anything I don't want to but the agency were basically saying it's either sign it without the termination clause or you don't get the contract. So no choice really (other than walking away from the opportunity but with the way things are at the mo I thought better of that).

The agency's argument on this was that they wanted to make sure I carry out the full contract and don't go looking for another role half way through. They also made the point that it's fairly common practice for contracts to be written up in this way now but I'm not so sure. From my point of view I see nothing wrong with expecting the same level of "protection" from my side as I am giving the client by signing the contract. There are some genuine (albeit very unlikely) reasons for possibly wanting to terminate a contract (being treated unfairly or unreasonably, being asked to do stuff outside the boundaries of the contract, etc)

Just trying to get a feel for whether this is common practice or whether it's just the more unscrupulous agencies that use these tactics.

First post - Tick
    Question that is currently floating about in the prof forums - Tick
    Posted in General - Tick..

Sockie.. Ban it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I suggest:
      1. You use the search facility available on this site,
      2. Do not post serious questions in this forum

BTW I'm beginning to think people in IT are really thick. When I decide to look things up on a forum I check the threads out in each section before I post as this allows me to put my post in the right section.
      Last edited by SueEllen; 8 February 2013, 20:20.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        I suggest:
        1. You use the search facility available on this site,
        2. Do not post serious questions in General
        Get it right or get off your high horse
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Blimey. Hard going being a newbie round here, isn't it.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            Blimey. Hard going being Suity round here, isn't it.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

I've only had a couple of contracts like this. If it's not long term you'll be OK, and if you have to terminate make sure it's due to an Act of God or something..
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Look, either you are a contractor, or you are a permie, if you are a contractor then behave like one. If you contracted a builder to build your extension, you wouldn't want him " giving notice" half way through cos he got a better offer would you?

If you don't like the terms and they won't change them either piss or get off the pot.

HTH

Comment

You might not be able to terminate the contract, but if you get struck down with a serious illness then you could be off for weeks - they can't ask for sick notes so have no way of knowing whether it's genuine.

Tell them you've got severe ContractorTitis or ScIRzophr35nia

Comment

Working...
                    X