Serious medical question Serious medical question
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 41

Banned

wurzel is too good to be a permie

Default Serious medical question

I know there are a few CUK medical experts out there. Wondering oif you could help me with this...

My missus has been suffering from what's turned out to be a stuck gallstone. Basically it needs removing via a procedure called ERCP which, AFAIK is some kind of endoscopic device.

Without going into all the details of how long it has taken just to get this diagnosis (several A&E visits & misdiagnoses from GP) she was given a date of 18 Feb to have the procedure last Friday. Given the level of discomfort she is in, this seemed an unbearable amount of time to wait. Then she took a turn for the worst on Monday & has been in hospital since but they said they hoped to remove the stone & gall bladder in one fell swoop with keyhole surgery. Now they've just said they won't be doing the op & that the original ERCP will be put back to 25 Feb & they're sending her home to spend another 10 days in agony not being able to eat.

The rational behind this is that this procedure is also used for heart patients so she is continually getting bumped by these more urgent cases. Going privately doesn't make any difference as you have to get it done in the local NHS hospital & you have to get past the same gatekeepers.

So, my question is, does anyone know of anywhere in the UK (or Europe) where we could just turn up with a credit card & get her booked in to get this thing done within a couple of days?

doGlike

SupremeSpod has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
    I know there are a few CUK medical experts out there. Wondering oif you could help me with this...

My missus has been suffering from what's turned out to be a stuck gallstone. Basically it needs removing via a procedure called ERCP which, AFAIK is some kind of endoscopic device.

Without going into all the details of how long it has taken just to get this diagnosis (several A&E visits & misdiagnoses from GP) she was given a date of 18 Feb to have the procedure last Friday. Given the level of discomfort she is in, this seemed an unbearable amount of time to wait. Then she took a turn for the worst on Monday & has been in hospital since but they said they hoped to remove the stone & gall bladder in one fell swoop with keyhole surgery. Now they've just said they won't be doing the op & that the original ERCP will be put back to 25 Feb & they're sending her home to spend another 10 days in agony not being able to eat.

The rational behind this is that this procedure is also used for heart patients so she is continually getting bumped by these more urgent cases. Going privately doesn't make any difference as you have to get it done in the local NHS hospital & you have to get past the same gatekeepers.

So, my question is, does anyone know of anywhere in the UK (or Europe) where we could just turn up with a credit card & get her booked in to get this thing done within a couple of days?
    Have you thought about nipping across the Irish Sea?

They could use the money.

Seriously Banned

Troll is NOT a disguised employee

Thought the procedure was to smash the gall or kidney stones with ultrasound

Try these if they are near you

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

The beerded one

EternalOptimist is NOT a disguised employee

Can't help, but it sounds horrible, whatever it is
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Potty-trained

suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

Have you tried making a proper fuss? Threaten to sell your story to the tabloids etc etc

Sounds like you've been to reasonable up til now. If I were in agony the last thing I'd want is a flight somewhere.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Banned

wurzel is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Thought the procedure was to smash the gall or kidney stones with ultrasound

Try these if they are near you

HTH
    That's what I call a result!

Just rang them and fingers crossed they can do it tomorrow - all depending on the local NHS hospital being able to offer her a bed for recovery as they don't have any available in Bristol.

Edit: You must spread some around before giving it to Troll again

Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post
    Have you tried making a proper fuss? Threaten to sell your story to the tabloids etc etc

Sounds like you've been to reasonable up til now. If I were in agony the last thing I'd want is a flight somewhere.
    I'll be making a fuss if they throw a spanner in the works by not letting her have a bed for a few hours tomorrow!

Super poster

fullyautomatix 's job has never been outsourced

I do hope it all goes okay. Sounds horrible and in my opinion NHS should offer an operation immediately. Quite why we pay so much into the system but cannot expect an immediate help is something I do not know.

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Thought the procedure was to smash the gall or kidney stones with ultrasound ...
    WHS

Worse case is that delays could cause obstruction and infection, which could start affecting her kidneys.

It sounds like some jobsworth administrator is pissing you around to show themself in a good light, and that _is_ how they are perceived by their administrator bosses the more people they can fob off. You need to go in to the outpatients and literally start shouting, until a supervisor or someone with medical training appears to find out what all the fuss is about.

Honestly, make a scene - It can get quick results, and I know because I've done it

Jeez, and people think I'm a bit eccentric, mad even, for wanting the NHS to be privatized.

edit: Oh and P.S. be sure to vote UKIP at the next election, regardless, for the best chance of reducing the number of foreigners clogging up the NHS!
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 14th February 2013 at 17:25.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

TPAFKAk2p2

mudskipper is always on top

Hope all goes well for Mrs W.

Party Animal

Zippy has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
    That's what I call a result!

Just rang them and fingers crossed they can do it tomorrow - all depending on the local NHS hospital being able to offer her a bed for recovery as they don't have any available in Bristol.

Edit: You must spread some around before giving it to Troll again

I'll be making a fuss if they throw a spanner in the works by not letting her have a bed for a few hours tomorrow!
    Good luck to the missus for tomorrow.
    (Troll has been repped on your behalf)
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012