• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CLXIV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Also, you might want to check your network: loading through an HTTP debugging proxy on Firefox, with Firebug active, took 2.68 seconds; the total size of all content, including the first image, was 301.8KB, which isn't that huge. For comparison, the CUK General front page is 406KB, although it loads in a snappy 1.78s. (All load times are with an empty cache.) So the "ages to load" is one-and-a-half times as long as CUK. (Also, CUK makes 48 HTTP requests, versus hadonejob.com's 12; so hadonejob could easily turn out faster on a congested network.)
    Yep, yellow cable is in the right hole... God knows what any of that other stuff means though :|
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This is cool

My Petabyte roommate:

My Petabyte Roommate - YouTube
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I thought the full kits were still being manufactured in Poland.

Must admit I haven't seen Meccano advertised recently, in New Scientist for example.
        Looking on Amazon, it does seem that most of the sets are kits, although there seem to be a few that are, at least, kits for making mutiple things, and therefore nearer to a general-purpose set.

And then there's this, for the laydeez:

You can tell it's for girls, 'cos the components are made out of plastic

Comment

Also, you might want to check your network
          OK let me be more specific. While the first picture loads quickly, about 20-30 in, quite a numbered appeared just as blacked nothing. clicking forward, waiting a while then clicking back and the images were there. So it seemed to me that the site itself was slow.

As for Flash, my bad. While this black nothing was happening, a flash-like (actually more Apple like) "I'm waiting for something to load" spinny thingy was displayed.

And the forward one / backward one buttons kept disappearing off the bottom of the screen.

Either way, crap site IMO but funny pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            OK let me be more specific. While the first picture loads quickly, about 20-30 in, quite a numbered appeared just as blacked nothing. clicking forward, waiting a while then clicking back and the images were there. So it seemed to me that the site itself was slow.

As for Flash, my bad. While this black nothing was happening, a flash-like (actually more Apple like) "I'm waiting for something to load" spinny thingy was displayed.

And the forward one / backward one buttons kept disappearing off the bottom of the screen.

Either way, crap site IMO but funny pictures
            Ah, right. Yes, it uses PhotoSwipe, which is pretty crap IMHO but is popular at the moment with the kind of people who don't know the difference between JavaScript and jQuery. I think they like it because it proudly trumpets its compatibility with "lots of mobile platforms", though it rather obviously fails miserably in the area of compatibility with anything else.

The throbber, to give it its proper name, will just be an animated GIF You can make your own, in a variety styles, at sites such as Ajaxload - Ajax loading gif generator; for example:

Comment

That 10 best films thing....good. The reference in 'the kiss' to '2 girls 1 cup' which I felt compelled to search...super-bad.

Still, at least I can tick skat films off the list of unknowns and that means Monday hasn't been wasted. Cheers NF!

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                That 10 best films thing....good. The reference in 'the kiss' to '2 girls 1 cup' which I felt compelled to search...super-bad.

Still, at least I can tick skat films off the list of unknowns and that means Monday hasn't been wasted. Cheers NF!
                Yeah, you probably wanted to avoid 2 girls 1 cup - too late now though

Don't search for goatse.cx, tubgirl, or lemonparty either

Comment

Yeah, you probably wanted to avoid 2 girls 1 cup - too late now though

Don't search for goatse.cx, tubgirl, or lemonparty either
                  I won't. I've got an ace chilli cooking - any more of that nonsense and it'll have to be frozen till the memory is subdued!

Comment

Ah, right. Yes, it uses PhotoSwipe, which is pretty crap IMHO but is popular at the moment with the kind of people who don't know the difference between JavaScript and jQuery. I think they like it because it proudly trumpets its compatibility with "lots of mobile platforms", though it rather obviously fails miserably in the area of compatibility with anything else.

The throbber, to give it its proper name, will just be an animated GIF You can make your own, in a variety styles, at sites such as Ajaxload - Ajax loading gif generator; for example:

Ok, that was mean. Spent 20 mins waiting to see what was going to appear.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Ok, that was mean. Spent 20 mins waiting to see what was going to appear.
                      Examples of "loading" indicators always have that problem

Comment

Working...
                      X