• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car finance vs depreciation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car finance vs depreciation

If you were to buy a new car in the next month or so would you pay out a lump sum to buy it outright or get a financing deal?

Would you get a loan? Hire purchase? PCP?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

I wouldn't buy a new car.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I wouldn't buy a new car.

HTH BIDI
      WHS, but the same question could just as well be asked about a low mileage used car
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        If you were to buy a new car in the next month or so would you pay out a lump sum to buy it outright or get a financing deal?

Would you get a loan? Hire purchase? PCP?
        Depends on your mileage. Very high mileage and I would plump for HP and hand it back once it's worth less than you owe after the half way point.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I prefer to buy nearly new or ex-demo. I don't do finance.

Comment

If it is an asset that appreciates then buy it
            If it is an asset that depreciates then lease it
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              Depends on your mileage. Very high mileage and I would plump for HP and hand it back once it's worth less than you owe after the half way point.
              They have this covered with the cap and ridiculous charge for mileage over agreed limit though?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                If it is an asset that appreciates then buy it
                If it is an asset that depreciates then lease it
                Don't you end up paying the depreciation anyway, just spread over the term of the lease + interest?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  They have this covered with the cap and ridiculous charge for mileage over agreed limit though?
                  Not on a standard HP 1974 act. Dealers try to put people on 'negative equity' if they owe more than the cars trade in value.

I'm on my 4th and the last 3 have all been through Black Horse.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Generally, I would avoid paying rent or interest whenever possible.

Sometimes it cannot be avoided and each cases needs to be looked at, so buying a house with a mortgage is usually better than renting etc.

With personal car leases, you are usually paying a high charge for the credit and for the mileage etc, even though this is usually wrapped up in 'one simple, monthly fee'

Comment

Working...
                    X