• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am an atheist.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Those who study the bible don't see it as being a fundamental flaw. Reading few verses is like reading one page of Harry Potter
    So, overall, as a whole you'd argue that the bible makes complete sense? That it is all true and not the least bit contradictory? That where it appears flawed, people just take stuff out of context?

Just checking...

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
      So, overall, as a whole you'd argue that the bible makes complete sense? That it is all true and not the least bit contradictory? That where it appears flawed, people just take stuff out of context?

Just checking...
      I think the bible as a whole is not flawed, and is consistent, BUT that's not the same as saying it always appears to make sense or is easy. Clearly there are lots of things which appear not to make sense on casual reading. One can read it in full over the year, every year, for decades and never 'finish' it.

I figure you're trying to set some kind of trap here
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think the bible as a whole is not flawed, and is consistent, BUT that's not the same as saying it always appears to make sense or is easy. Clearly there are lots of things which appear not to make sense on casual reading. One can read it in full over the year, every year, for decades and never 'finish' it.

Maybe he'll ask you to explain the inconsistency in the genealogy of Joseph mentioned in two books of the bible, all of which is irrelevant anyway as he isnt the father, Mary was a virgin. They may as well have covered the genealogoy of the Donkey. Really all it shows is that this part was written by 2 different men, who got the storey second hand, and as people are likely to embellish a storey a bit as it gets passed on. But it also means that this isnt the word of god, but a fallible scribe. So then we are left we the problem if this bit is a second hand account, how much of the rest of it is innacurate/embellished. So we are looking at a book assembled over centuries, presumably by the Catholic Church... back to my original point.. it is there to allow rome to control the population. My Roman history knowledge isnt that great, but one could assume that the ceasers had lost their "greatness" and something a bit more mythical was required to keep the empire together. Its then quite easy to see how christianiy spread if it was mandatory for the population to follow it. I suppose what suprises me these days is the number of people willing to follow it as a faith, rather than referring to it in the same sense as a fable or folklore. If you sit down and think it through it doesnt make sense.

For me I have more comfort knowing that when I die, thats it... cells stop multiplying, neurons stop sending electrochemical signals and then all of me decomposes. No worries about whats next.

The spirit (and the concept of the heart being the source of emotion) is a hang over from the days where human anatomy and brain functions were not understood. One program I saw recently showed they could trigger a "spiritual" sensation if the right area of the brain was stimulated.

I think culture and mythology are fun, but nowhere near the truth. Its like claiming we might be in the matrix becuase there were some films made about it. Nice idea, but still a story. So ghosts, spirits, angels and demons are just peoples imagination, like pink unicorns. Im sure in 1000 years people might think we all believed "greys" were real given the amount of TV shows they appear in. One conspiracy thoery is they were made up by the US intelligence services as part of their counter espionage programme. Theres a lot of resemblance between a steath bomber and the Xfiles spaceships. It seems of topic.. but its another illustrations of the powers of the day using fiction to control what is believed, as a diversion to what they want to cover.
        Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

So it's not exactly accessible then, is it? I always thought that a Holy book that needs thousands of scholars hundreds of years to explain is probably being mis- or over- interpreted.

Comment

If it takes a lifetime of rationalization and interpretation then that would hint towards it simply being nonsense
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              If it takes a lifetime of rationalization and interpretation then that would hint towards it simply being nonsense
              What I said !

Comment

Only two kinds of people in the world when it comes to religion, delusional and rational.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

I see you've created a predictably circular defence to any potential "trap". Anyone questions a few lines or individual sections - they're taking it out of context, anyone questioning the whole thing after bothering to read it all - they just don't get it.

Thanks for reminding me why I stayed out of this discussion to begin with. There's just no point.

(I mostly agree with MUN so far anyway)

Comment

What if only some prayers are answered rather than all or none?
                    Prayers being answered in a meaningful way would be evidence that god exists and that would defeat the fundamental idea of religion which is about having faith in something which you have no evidence for. Paradoxically, if someone could scientifically prove that prayers are answered then this proof would defeat the requirement to have faith which would then mean that prayers could not be answered as the believer would no longer need faith.

I can understand how some people pray and take comfort from the thought that someone is either "answering their prayers" when it goes right or that it's "god's will" or perhaps "god's punishment" when it goes wrong but I now see that this is a cop out and that my religion was a superstition. Being free from that superstition a huge burden lifted from my back as I can now follow logic to solve my problems rather than talking to a non existent deity.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      So it's not exactly accessible then, is it? I always thought that a Holy book that needs thousands of scholars hundreds of years to explain is probably being mis- or over- interpreted.
                      Manipulated to ensure the survival of the status quo!

Why else would you prevent your populace from learning to read?

Comment

Working...
                      X