• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Really?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    As an aside, some 'Americanisms' turn out to be archaic English usage that died out in the UK but not over there. They are actually more traditionally English than modern English English.
    Like 'erbs?
    Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      Do you know any particular ones?
      Daiper, candy and fall (as in autumn), according to a random bbc article from a while back
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Daiper, candy and fall (as in autumn), according to a random bbc article from a while back
        apparently we used to speak like them. A "rhotic" accent. It wasn't until the 1800s when one spoke with a plum in the mouth, and thence our languages diverged.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Yes, really.

I have a collins dictionary printed in 1990 that lists it as, among other things, an injerjection expressing surprise or doubt. So it's been around longer than you think.
          Ok, I'll bite ...... injerjection????

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            apparently we used to speak like them. A "rhotic" accent. It wasn't until the 1800s when one spoke with a plum in the mouth, and thence our languages diverged.
            We used to speak in regional dialects until invention of the "Queens English" when courtiers were forced to change their speak for the Queen ERI, Except for Walter Raleigh that is who was allowed to speak in his native West country accent. In the late 1700s came the London centric fashion for adding redundant 'Rs' to words. Both of these fashions have somehow become amalgamated and are now by many seen as the correct way to speak, when they are just modern bastardisation of the spoken English language. The Americanisms you loathe are the latest fashion and no less culturally valid than QE and fake rs.
            Last edited by ZARDOZ; 12 March 2013, 14:56.

Comment

whaaaaat ??

Realllly??

like why would you even post that

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                whaaaaat ??

Realllly??

like why would you even post that
                Please put down your gutter parlance, you have 30 seconds to comply.

Comment

OMG ed209

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    OMG ed209
                    Blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Comment

/ 0 \

oh nooz

Comment

Working...
                      X