• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Postal charges for items with glass

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Postal charges for items with glass

Calling all plan b'ers ...

I am working with a friend and they have just been hit with a massive increase in postal charges as they ship items that contain glass (picture frames) and the cost has gone upto £10 per item.

Has anyone used other couriers Hermes etc.. and what are your views on them.
    I have read/heard bad things about certain couriers and would like to see if anyone has been in this situation and how they overcame it

Thanks

5*

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post

I am working with a friend and they have just been hit with a massive increase in postal charges as they ship items that contain glass (picture frames) and the cost has gone upto £10 per item.

I have read/heard bad things about certain couriers and would like to see if anyone has been in this situation and how they overcame it

Thanks

5*
    Hermes delivery drivers are notoriously famous for leaving the parcels outside the property, and sometimes marking them as delivered even when clearly not delivered. I would stay away from them as a business, unless they provide some sort of insurance against the lost goods.

Comment

Thanks

5*
      RM has just introduced new postal charges depending on the size of your parcel. So they are now classed as small, medium and large and not just costed by weight. 'Small' is about the size of a sreial box.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Replace the glass with art screen acrylic.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
          Replace the glass with art screen acrylic.
          just looking at prices of these.

I need A3/4 sizes.

Comment

just looking at prices of these.

I need A3/4 sizes.
            I buy it in 6' x 4' sheets and cut it to size on the table saw

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
              Hermes delivery drivers are notoriously famous for leaving the parcels outside the property, and sometimes marking them as delivered even when clearly not delivered. I would stay away from them as a business, unless they provide some sort of insurance against the lost goods.
              Yep, my experiences with Heremes are not good. Despite being business premises with people there all day they never ring the door, just leave stuff in car port. Their customer service staff are indifferent to any complaints.

Comment

Thanks for responses, I have got a quote of £1 / A4 perspex sheet cut and delivered. I suppose what we need to see is if this will make any difference to the framing and hopefully postal costs

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
                  WRDS

My wife has plenty of deliveries at her office for me, but Hermes are very unreliable delivering there, permanent concierge but they always write that no one was there to sign. Prob wanted to avoid the parking restrictions on the main road outside the office.

I would avoid Hermes.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                    WRDS

My wife has plenty of deliveries at her office for me, but Hermes are very unreliable delivering there, permanent concierge but they always write that no one was there to sign. Prob wanted to avoid the parking restrictions on the main road outside the office.

I would avoid Hermes.
                    WSMS

There are only a few delivery companies who will actually bother to attempt to deliver stuff and even within those most of them will drop kick stuff or just load it into a van/lorry so heavy stuff is on top of fragile stuff.

I think so far the only courier I haven't had problems with is DPD but even they have delivered a parcel to one of my neighbours to me because my neighbour wasn't "in" simply because they were unable to ring his door bell.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X