• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What were you doing when Thatcher was at the peak of her power?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Of course they dont but they are more than happy to be living lives of luxury at the expense of the mediterranean EU states
    Feck me you really are quite spectacularly ignorant.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Your obsession with Thatcher is a bit freaky.
      Try and argue ( to use your demotic argot) my point about banks holding the country to ransom you little retard of a man.
      I agree with you why do I need to argue it?

I am just interested in how you think this links back to to Thatcher, and if it does why you think the banking system should have remained as it was.

Surely for a great man of such intellect you can answer such a simple question
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Of course they dont but they are more than happy to be living lives of luxury at the expense of the mediterranean EU states
        DA follows Thatcher's lead:

"We do not want a united Germany" Thatcher to Gorbachev 1989
        "Germany has veered between aggression and self-doubt. The true origin of German angst is the agony of self-knowledge" (funny she used a German word there which has no translation in English)
        "By its very nature, Germany is a destabilising, rather than a stabilising, force in Europe." 1993
        "What you Germans are doing is not good for Europe." 1996
        "We beat the Germans twice, now they're back." Isn't that based on a thick headed Englishman's abroad chant?
        "Of course I did not want East Germans to live under Communism, but it seemed to me that a truly democratic East Germany would soon emerge and the question of reunification was a separate one, on which the wishes and interests of Germany's neighbours and other powers must be fully taken into account." - running scared
        "That man is so German," Thatcher said, referring to former Chancellor Helmut Kohl.
        "Kohl is capable of anything. He has become a different man. He does not know who he is anymore. He sees himself as the master and is starting to act like it" - kettle, pot, mirror
        "If there is one instance in which a foreign policy I pursued met with unambiguous failure, it was my policy on German reunification." **** all to do with her
        "These events marked the most welcome political change of my lifetime," she wrote of the fall of the Berlin Wall. "But no matter how much I rejoiced at the overthrow of Communism in eastern and central Europe, I was not going to allow euphoria to extinguish either reason or prudence."
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I agree with you why do I need to argue it?

I am just interested in how you think this links back to to Thatcher, and if it does why you think the banking system should have remained as it was.

Surely for a great man of such intellect you can answer such a simple question
          Thatcher liberalised the markets allowing them to do stuff they couldn't do before. Now unlike you I'm not a closed-minded, brainwashed cretin, so if you can give me some evidence that Labour further liberalised the market, rather than simply leaving it alone, then Thatcher's (and Reagan's) actions directly led to the catastrophe of 2008.
          The banking system had served the country admirably for centuries, funding Britains wars and making it great.
          And the new model has bankrupted us.
          Case closed, unless of course, you're a thicko who believes in a cult-like figure who could do no wrong
          Last edited by sasguru; 10 April 2013, 18:46.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Watching Spitting Image:

Spitting Image - S01E03 - Thatcher's Cabinet - YouTube
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Well now we have the bosses of the big banks who have been bailed out with billions of tax-payers money holding the country to ransom.
              Why are million pound bonuses being paid to employees of failed, now state owned banks?
              Erm because they met or exceeded the terms of their employment contracts.

FFS, you're such a cretin!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                Erm because they met or exceeded the terms of their employment contracts.

FFS, you're such a cretin!
                1. Many of us meet or exceed the terms of employment contracts. We don't claim bonuses as a right.
                2. RBS is not a high performing bank whichever way you measure it: Libor scandal, IT problems, share price.

RBS boss due to collect bonus worth £700,000 | Business | The Guardian

It's reward for failure and it shouldn't be happening in a bank we own due to its outstanding crapness.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

1. Many of us meet or exceed the terms of employment contracts. We don't claim bonuses as a right.
                  2. RBS is not a high performing bank whichever way you measure it: Libor scandal, IT problems, share price.

RBS boss due to collect bonus worth £700,000 | Business | The Guardian

It's reward for failure and it shouldn't be happening in a bank we own due to its outstanding crapness.
                  Doesnt stop you lot from charging as much as you can for public sector work does it? And presume if a contractor were to take a gig at RBS he/she should take a very low rate
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Doesnt stop you lot from charging as much as you can for public sector work does it? And presume if a contractor were to take a gig at RBS he/she should take a very low rate
                    Dodgy, you were once a welcome presence here as an agent with a lot of thoughtful input to discussions about contracting. Now you spend your time berating contractors in general for greed, stupidity, and incompetence. But mostly greed; a surprising condemnation from the mouth of such a big fan of she who can not be named.

Is this just the mask slipping, the petulance of a tired man looking forward desperately to his retirement, or the onset of a psychiatric condition? And no, I don't want to do a poll.
                    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                      Dodgy, you were once a welcome presence here as an agent with a lot of thoughtful input to discussions about contracting. Now you spend your time berating contractors in general for greed, stupidity, and incompetence. But mostly greed; a surprising condemnation from the mouth of such a big fan of she who can not be named.

Is this just the mask slipping, the petulance of a tired man looking forward desperately to his retirement, or the onset of a psychiatric condition? And no, I don't want to do a poll.
                      I have absolutely no problem with contractors making money. I have no problem with them being incompetent greedy or selfish (Spod is one of my best friends ). I have no problems with the fact that most of the work they do ultimately means that people lose their jobs. I have even less of a problem with myself making a fast buck out of it. I do not have any problem with the family of a coal miner hating Thatcher for destroying their "communities" (although I would argue they are blaming the messenger and not those at the heart of the problem - Neil Kinnock understands this).

Contractors are no more stupid than any other well educated member of the professional classes with one or two exceptions ten to a penny they are more interesting, more honest than recruitment agents

What I cannot abide is the hypocrisy where I see lavishly paid contractors who are direct beneficiaries of Thatcherism, who are no more than harbingers of job losses pouring bile and hatred on the woman that saw through the policies that enriched over 250,000 contractors.

Yes of course there were contractors before her - but these were a pitiful few. And yes it may be argued that the industry would have grown anyway (maybe but nothing like the speed at which it did- if SASguru had his way the whole of British industry- especially related to finance- would still be pushing pencils - at least we would all have jobs.

There are one or two weedling their way out of taking responsibility by saying that they had left the country - why? presumably they could not enrich themselves here so they chased the dollar/mark instead of standing on the picket lines with their miner friends.

It is the Bonoesque (I am filthy rich and care about the poor so much I want to give them other people's money) two faced cowardice that disgusts me.

Comment

Working...
                      X