• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What were you doing when Thatcher was at the peak of her power?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What were you doing when Thatcher was at the peak of her power?

I was a pro musician during most of the Thatcher years so her policies didn't really impact me mainly because I spent so much time out of the country (other than doing fund raising gigs for the miners).

Without exception everybody I knew hated her and countless people did seem to suffer because of tory policies, no jobs and a decline in quality of life for many.

The legacy? I believe this country was fcked by a succession of governments regardless of colour because of nothing more than short termism and that's not likely to change any time in the future.
    Me, me, me...

I was either in school or messing about with computers.
    I was working in France the day she got the boot and my French colleagues were shocked by me being so positive about it(I think they rather admired her)
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I worked for Age Concern for a little while, visiting the housebound frail-and-elderly. There was a fairly steady turnover as people popped their clogs, which was only to be expected; but there were at least two of my visits who I believe died before their time as a direct result of Thatcher's policies. That's one of a number of reasons why I hold her in utter contempt. To quote my mother on the phone just now: may God have more compassion for her than she ever had for the people whose lives she destroyed.

Comment

I was still at school & uni and on finishing came out to a fantastic world of opportunity for those who wanted to get off their backside & work. I suppose if you were the type who thought the industrial revolution was still happening, world owed you a living or were a workshy bludger then yes, I can see why you might not like her.

Everyone I know, loved her.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I suppose if you were the type who thought the industrial revolution was still happening, world owed you a living or were a workshy bludger then yes, I can see why you might not like her.
          I just don't buy into that mindset.

Opportunities will always be there for the hard working or lucky. What chance kids have right now? Tell me a recession and current government policy doesn't matter?
          Me, me, me...

Comment

I was still at school & uni and on finishing came out to a fantastic world of opportunity for those who wanted to get off their backside & work. I suppose if you were the type who thought the industrial revolution was still happening, world owed you a living or were a workshy bludger then yes, I can see why you might not like her.

Everyone you know loves you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              I just don't buy into that mindset.

Opportunities will always be there for the hard working or lucky. What chance kids have right now? Tell me a recession and current government policy doesn't matter?
              I think the lucky piece is the exception. Just because you work hard, doesn't necessarily mean that you will take an opportunity but you will see more oportunities. With Thatcher I believed that more opportunities were generated for people to see and take advantage of.

I believe that now, after a crap period of labour government and their spend today policies, nanny state politics they've left the economy in a basket case. I also believe that the coalition government, by means of being cooperative to each parties needs have placed that basket case an extra 10 foot under.

The country needs a strong leader to get itself out of the present mess, pity there isn't an up and coming forceful personality like Thatcher coming up.
              Last edited by MarillionFan; 8 April 2013, 19:42.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
                Everyone you know loves you.
                Call me Raymond.

Comment

The country needs a strong leader to get itself out of the present mess, pity there isn't an up and coming forceful personality like Churchill coming up.
                  Agree in principal but the current crop of limp wristed vote chasers just don't cut it. The current coalition / media / press simply do not have an appreciation of what the man on the street can contribute and only look after businesses who contribute to their coffers, compeletely out of touch with real life and have no solid fiscal policies.

How does that affect me personally right now? I couldn't give a fck. The folks who will suffer haven't suffered enough or have buried their head's in the sand and it will take time. Regime change without flinging nukes at foreigners, bring it on home.

Current and past governments have left a debt legacy that your grand kids will be paying off all of their lives and that to fund the lifestyles of the top few. You're a contractor / disguised permie and therefore no security - convince me otherwise with yer x millions in the bank and all the trimmings that go along with it, other wise yer working class same as 97% of the people in this country.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

I was enjoying spending quality time with my Dad - he used to take me on all the anti-Maggie marches.

Comment

Working...
                    X