• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The sad thing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sad thing

The sad thing is that the pro-Thatcherites still don't get how much she is hated and why. That IMHO is what is really opening the old wounds.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    The sad thing is that the pro-Thatcherites still don't get how much she is hated and why. That IMHO is what is really opening the old wounds.
    try taking a look at those who hate them and you will see why. The vast majority who support her have jobs, families and are not interested in politics. These are the silent majority that have better things to do. If you look at the CUK poll despite an overwhelming majority of those who liked and admire her there are probably only a couple of us that have nothing better to do than put our points forward.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      try taking a look at those who hate them and you will see why. The vast majority who support her have jobs, families and are not interested in politics. These are the silent majority that have better things to do. If you look at the CUK poll despite an overwhelming majority of those who liked and admire her there are probably only a couple of us that have nothing better to do than put our points forward.
      Exactly this, the loudest noises aren't always the majority. I don't remember too much about her when in power, but what i admire her for is the way she is hated. Politicians now are too worried about securing the next term so will not make decisions that are too unpopular with any significant group. Her policies (whether right or wrong) were in her eyes for the good of the country and she made them for what she believed to be the right reasons, I don't deny she made hundreds of thousands of people unemployed, created shortages of social housing and numerous other unpopular decisions, but with hindsight we can criticise these decisions, but at the time i honestly believe she was doing what she beleived was right, and i do not beleive we have had or will ever have another PM who will put the countries best interests before being reelected.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
        Exactly this, the loudest noises aren't always the majority. I don't remember too much about her when in power, but what i admire her for is the way she is hated. Politicians now are too worried about securing the next term so will not make decisions that are too unpopular with any significant group. Her policies (whether right or wrong) were in her eyes for the good of the country and she made them for what she believed to be the right reasons, I don't deny she made hundreds of thousands of people unemployed, created shortages of social housing and numerous other unpopular decisions, but with hindsight we can criticise these decisions, but at the time i honestly believe she was doing what she beleived was right, and i do not beleive we have had or will ever have another PM who will put the countries best interests before being reelected.
        Don't be naive, she was a consummate politician.
        Here's an interesting fact: public spending rose in 9 of her 11 years in office.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Don't be naive, she was a consummate politician.
          Here's an interesting fact: public spending rose in 9 of her 11 years in office.
          Do you have any statistics to back that up?

Comment

That's not all - she didn't cut taxes either.

'The tax burden peaked under the 1974/79 Labour government, fell under Lady Thatcher and is now set to go back to its previous late seventies peaks.' This apparently plausible statement suffers from only one drawback: it is completely wrong.
            Maurice Fitzpatrick, Accountancy Age, 04 Jul 2003

The tax burden thus rose decisively under Lady Thatcher (both on average and in absolute terms), compared with the previous Labour government.

Read more: Lies, damn lies and statistics... - 04 Jul 2003 - Accountancy Age
            Accountancy Age - Finance, business and accountancy news, features and resources. Claim your free subscription today.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

'The tax burden peaked under the 1974/79 Labour government, fell under Lady Thatcher and is now set to go back to its previous late seventies peaks.' This apparently plausible statement suffers from only one drawback: it is completely wrong.
              Maurice Fitzpatrick, Accountancy Age, 04 Jul 2003

The tax burden thus rose decisively under Lady Thatcher (both on average and in absolute terms), compared with the previous Labour government.

Read more: Lies, damn lies and statistics... - 04 Jul 2003 - Accountancy Age
              Accountancy Age - Finance, business and accountancy news, features and resources. Claim your free subscription today.
              She cut your taxes
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
                Do you have any statistics to back that up?
                How public spending rose under Thatcher
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Also the percentage of public sector workers was higher after her reign (23%) than it is now (20%).
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    She cut your taxes
                    No she didn't - that's the point you moronic Tory automaton.

Comment

Working...
                    X