• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why we should respect Thatcher

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just watched Return Of The Jedi. Disgusted by the distasteful scenes at the end where everyone is celebrating the death of Emperor Palpatine. He may have been divisive, but he was strong and he made decisions and stuck to them, and I think he should get a bit of respect. He was, after all, a little old man who died, when you remove any other context whatsoever.

Another reason to be grateful is that she got us to a state of relative peace with the Russians, thus dramatically reducing the risk of us ending up as charcoal. That tends to be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
      Just watched Return Of The Jedi. Disgusted by the distasteful scenes at the end where everyone is celebrating the death of Emperor Palpatine. He may have been divisive, but he was strong and he made decisions and stuck to them, and I think he should get a bit of respect. He was, after all, a little old man who died, when you remove any other context whatsoever.
      If Palpatine had died 22 years after being deposed you'd have a point.

I don't recall "celebrations" when Thatcher fell from power on the same kind of scale as what is happening now, which leads me to believe this has **** all to do with Thatcher, per se, but rather shows what a nasty society the UK has become after years of "new labour" rule.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        If Palpatine had died 22 years after being deposed you'd have a point.

I don't recall "celebrations" when Thatcher fell from power on the same kind of scale as what is happening now, which leads me to believe this has **** all to do with Thatcher, per se, but rather shows what a nasty society the UK has become after years of blinding following any muppet on social media “coz it’s a laugh”.
        FTFY
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

I don't recall "celebrations" when Thatcher fell from power on the same kind of scale as what is happening now, which leads me to believe this has **** all to do with Thatcher, per se, but rather shows what a nasty society the UK has become after years of "new labour" rule.
          When Margaret Thatcher reappeared in the house of commons to make her first speech from the back benches some time after her resignation, the whole house including the opposition cheered when the speaker announced it.

and anyone who remembers prime minister´s question when she was prime minister was that it was always good humoured, robust but good humoured.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 15 April 2013, 09:27.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
            FTFY
            WHJS
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              Another reason to be grateful is that she got us to a state of relative peace with the Russians, thus dramatically reducing the risk of us ending up as charcoal. That tends to be missed.
              As a Russophile I think this has more to do with the Soviets finally realising their system wasn't working.

Pretty sure Mrs T had little to do with it other than being in power at the time. Didn't she famously say to Gorbachëv, 'I hate Communism'?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                As a Russophile I think this has more to do with the Soviets finally realising their system wasn't working.

Pretty sure Mrs T had little to do with it other than being in power at the time. Didn't she famously say to Gorbachëv, 'I hate Communism'?
                I think you are probably right but I do not think it was about the soviets realising anything, they just simply went bust.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I personally thought her leadership on the Falklands was marvelous.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I personally thought her leadership on the Falklands was marvelous.
                    Are you going soft? or is that sarcasm?
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X