• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adventures in Crap Casual Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Do you have an example? (not quite sure what you mean).

But yes indeed, looking. I found a few sites that allow you to down load everything and which you can reuse, I´m taking them apart so learning how to do nice menus, partition the pages how to use background gifs to give shading etc.

My feeling is once you know how it goes you can easily knock one up.

A lot to learn though
    looks like we crossed in the ether, have added some links.

Maybe it looks frightening but my First wordpress took me 3 hours. It gets easier AIUI.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

From my experience, you can't make a nice website using WordPress without doing some coding. Well - you can make a nice website but it will just look like a WordPress site which can put some people off. If you want to use WP to make a more unique site you can very much do so, but then you will have to get your hands a bit dirty.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        From my experience, you can't make a nice website using WordPress without doing some coding.
        I've seen it done. Some of the themes are, so I am told, very flexible and don't look at all like a WP site.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          I've seen it done. Some of the themes are, so I am told, very flexible and don't look at all like a WP site.
          I've used themes like that for my own site - markup language and so on to do widgets and all that - they are good but you still run into walls and it still (to me) looks like a WP site.

Maybe there are better ones, I used WordPress Themes Loved By Over 170k Customers

Comment

I've used themes like that for my own site - markup language and so on to do widgets and all that - they are good but you still run into walls and it still (to me) looks like a WP site.

Maybe there are better ones, I used WordPress Themes Loved By Over 170k Customers
            That may be the significant point, to most users this applies :

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

This of course is a double edged sword and you are expected to add to it like magic.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
              I always use bench time for small projects like those. My favourite was a lesbian dating website. I had a lot of fun knocking up test data for that one.
              Linky?
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                I always use bench time for small projects like those. My favourite was a lesbian dating website. I had a lot of fun knocking out test data for that one.
                ftfy

Comment

From my experience, you can't make a nice website using WordPress without doing some coding. Well - you can make a nice website but it will just look like a WordPress site which can put some people off. If you want to use WP to make a more unique site you can very much do so, but then you will have to get your hands a bit dirty.
                  That´s my view I want to build unique websites, I think it´s good to know how to do it well, and get something cool you can then put some logic behind (e.g. php MySql).

I´m not a big fan of these types of websites, accept as simple blogs or personal web pages.

Nice to build something a bit unique you can use for your business.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    That´s my view I want to build unique websites, I think it´s good to know how to do it well, and get something cool you can then put some logic behind (e.g. php MySql).

I´m not a big fan of these types of websites, accept as simple blogs or personal web pages.

Nice to build something a bit unique you can use for your business.
                    However small business who dont have web presence would be jumping for joy with a nice elegant themed wordpress site.

Fair enough do the hard yards for knowledge but you will find it hard to sell a site for ~ £300-500 when you have to spend loads of time on it.
                    Thats the wonders and joys of the templates. Quick and easy to turn around

Comment

Well my "hope" is if you know what you´re doing. You can "knock it up". Most of these background gifs and techniques for building menus are things you can copy and change very easily.

In the end I see you´ll develop your own "templates" or shall we say box of tools, i.e. not auto configurable, but snippets of code so you´ll be more flexible.

But yes you are right it would be a good thing to become a Wordpress expert as well, as part of the armoury.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X