• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adventures in Crap Casual Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    However small business who dont have web presence would be jumping for joy with a nice elegant themed wordpress site.

Fair enough do the hard yards for knowledge but you will find it hard to sell a site for ~ £300-500 when you have to spend loads of time on it.
    Thats the wonders and joys of the templates. Quick and easy to turn around
    Boring though. Barely even graphic design work - and you need some design/arty skills otherwise it looks crap even if you breath JS/CSS.

Knowing WP itself could be useful if you know PHP, to do more customised stuff.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Its not just WordPress, there are other OS tools that are tuned to different requirements and audiences.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
        Currently on the bench. Got about five years of war chest but I've been trawling for crap casual work to bring in some cash.

I do an email shot of local companies and trawl classified ads.

So far I have :
        - used my crap web design skills to make web sites for an accountant, a perfume importer and a travel blogger (1500)
        - used my crap javascript skills to fix a web form for a local chamber of commerce (500)
        - given an introduction to powerpoint class to a bunch of secretaries (500)
        - set up Moodle for a charity (500 + 100 per month ongoing)
        - optimised a dodgy loans website (100 per month ongoing)

It's partly depressing/partly fun/partly f'it I'll give anything a try. Makes an interesting sideshow to updating skills and looking for the next big gig. Combined with cutting costs it's nice to live on what I make rather than use the warchest.

The tiny sums involved really do puEt things in to perspective but may as well be doing real stuff and earning a little bit.

Has anyone else done this kind of stuff or is it just me?
        I think this is great. You are the kind of person that made this country great. More people should be like you- resourceful and hard working.

Comment

A few years ago I was driving past a sex shop in a Berkshire town, and I saw a banner in the window saying "website wanted".
          Knowing a very little about html, but with some misplaced enthusiasm about being an entrepreneur I decided to knock one up on on a bit of spare webspace I had online at the time.
          I walked into the shop to give him a demo, but he looked a bit worried when he saw it. Maybe he was not too impressed.

I never heard anything from him subsequently...

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
            A few years ago I was driving past a sex shop in a Berkshire town, and I saw a banner in the window saying "website wanted".
            Knowing a very little about html, but with some misplaced enthusiasm about being an entrepreneur I decided to knock one up on on a bit of spare webspace I had online at the time.
            I walked into the shop to give him a demo, but he looked a bit worried when he saw it. Maybe he was not too impressed.

You're probably the only person who ever went in there after noticing the "website wanted" sign in the window. Even I find that a little scary.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
              Knowing a very little about html, but with some misplaced enthusiasm about being an entrepreneur I decided to knock one out on on a spare webcam I had online at the time.

FTFY

Comment

If you are really bored you can still work at Poundland for free. On the plus side, you will stink like poverty so bad, nobody will ever think of breaking into your castle.
                <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
                X