• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Since interest rates are well below inflation....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since interest rates are well below inflation....

....in order to subsidise cheap mortgages in order to protect the banks from mass default.....

....apart from day to day living expenses....why not deprive the mainstream banks of your money.....by sticking your savings somewhere else?

(thinking out loud).

1. Put your money into a credit union
    Mutual Financial Services - Find Your Credit Union

2. Get an offset mortgage

3. Put some into a peer to peer lending scheme
    Zopa UK Loans - Get a great rate loan from Zopa Lenders

4. Buy some gold coins (VAT and CGT free) now the price has fallen (buy when there's blood on the streets).
    2013 Gold Sovereigns | BullionByPost® - From £233

5. Charidy (but I don't like to talk about it)
    Ethical bank, offering ethical ISAs and charity loans

In other words DON'T FEED THE B(W)ANKERS!

You could always do something sensible, like buying some blue-chip index shares.

Comment

Prime(ish) london rental - yields a minimum of 6% and rising + capital gains eventually (or simply a London pad for your sprog*)

* A Paid for property + a good education are the only things I would leave my offspring, otherwise they'll get spoilt.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Prime(ish) london rental - yields a minimum of 6% and rising + capital gains eventually (or simply a London pad for your sprog*)

* A Paid for property + a good education are the only things I would leave my offspring, otherwise they'll get spoilt.
        You'd need a fair bit of spare cash for that one!

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
          You could always do something sensible, like buying some blue-chip index shares.
          ...and possibly put whatever you can lose into microcredit funds. Sounds crazy, but many of the economies with big growth prospects now are in Africa. People go from a dollar a day to two dollars a day, to five dollars a day and become consumers, savers and self employed businesspeople. Perhaps risky, but it´s arguably also risky to keep investing in deadweight companies in lacklustre economies.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Who will get your CUK account?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Who will get your CUK account?
              Who would want it? It's worthless as it is right now.
              I guess you might want to upgrade to it.

Comment

Own up!

Who caused the gold crash

My beautiful gold mine...oh woe is me
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Own up!

Who caused the gold crash

My beautiful gold mine...oh woe is me
                  I bought a few grams the other day after it dropped, so expect it to half in the coming months

Comment

As gold prices crash, consumers make a beeline for jewellers | Business Standard
                    Sales of Gold, Silver Coins Surge Despite Drop in Precious Metals Prices - WSJ.com
                    Physical Demand For Gold and Silver Skyrockets – Gold Bullion Coin Sales Highest Since December 2009
                    U.S. gold coin sales surge after historic sell-off | Reuters

etc

The price of gold and silver is manipulated and is driven mostly by heavily leveraged ETF's.

Also Goldman Sachs issued a report saying dump gold, shorted it and made a killing.

Comment

Working...
                    X