• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Dark Art of Happiness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Achieving stuff, and remembering to be proud of those achievements.

Problem with kids is they grow up, stop wanting cuddles, and, quite frequently, act like you're the bane of their life. If you're happiness is dependent on their affection, it can be a bit of a shock!
    I can identify with the above!

However I just count my blessings, things could be so much worse,.
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Cooking a new recipe and it turns out just right

Made a couple of recipes in the past week and they were lovely.

Though the sun being out definitely helps.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Achieving stuff, and remembering to be proud of those achievements.

Problem with kids is they grow up, stop wanting cuddles, and, quite frequently, act like you're the bane of their life. If you're happiness is dependent on their affection, it can be a bit of a shock!
        Maybe your kids just don't like you

I know my kids are going to grow up and be more independent, but at the moment I love them and they are my world and I am not ashamed to say it, when they do get to that stage I will be proud that I have achieved looking after them until they are ready to try and look after themselves.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Maybe your kids just don't like you

I know my kids are going to grow up and be more independent, but at the moment I love them and they are my world and I am not ashamed to say it, when they do get to that stage I will be proud that I have achieved looking after them until they are ready to try and look after themselves.
          I used to think like that , but wait untill they hit puberty and start at secondry school - you will have absolutly no influence over them any more.
          My daughter turns 13 in a few months and it really is a roller coaster ride parenting a teenager.
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            I used to think like that , but wait untill they hit puberty and start at secondry school - you will have absolutly no influence over them any more.
            My daughter turns 13 in a few months and it really is a roller coaster ride parenting a teenager.
            Sell her to the Pikeys!

Comment

Busting through the clouds into a sunset in a Seneca II 200T.

Intentionally scuffing your kneepad on a tight turn on the bike.

Hearing people go "mmmmmm" when they eat your home cooked food.

Making others smile or laugh.

Good food and wine with great friends.

The first cool swig of lager after a really hot day.

Sun and the sound of moving water.

Giving a tramp a good kicking.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

yep. you have to sit back and hope. Hope that the values you knocked into them at age 5 will stick and come shining through.
                my oldest daughter was a swine at 13, but now she is more like me than I am

if I had any advice to give a new parent, it would be, 'they are not your best friend. They dont need another friend. They need to be told absolutely and categorically what the rules are and what is right and what is wrong. There is no relativism. It's brainwashing pure and simple. This is the way I want them to be'
                you can be best friends when they are 30 and you are proud as hell of them

mho

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                  Giving a permie a good kicking.
                  FTFY.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    yep. you have to sit back and hope. Hope that the values you knocked into them at age 5 will stick and come shining through.
                    my oldest daughter was a swine at 13, but now she is more like me than I am

if I had any advice to give a new parent, it would be, 'they are not your best friend. They dont need another friend. They need to be told absolutely and categorically what the rules are and what is right and what is wrong. There is no relativism. It's brainwashing pure and simple. This is the way I want them to be'
                    you can be best friends when they are 30 and you are proud as hell of them

mho

WEOS +1

Son hit 13 and it was like living in an Kevin the Teenager Sketch for the next 5 or six years. Went to bed on night as a pleasant well behaved young lad, came down the next morning having lost the ability to communicate in anything more than a grunt. It went down hill from there.

It gets better once they leave home and realise all the things you tried to tell them before are actually true and you weren't just making it up to annoy them.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Speaking as an ex little shit: I can say it'll be OK. It's a truely horrible age to be because you have quite a lot of knowledge and absolutely no fear, so you think you should be able to do whatever you want. I kind of miss those days(don't miss the crying fits though ).
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X