• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dire reporting from the beeb

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dire reporting from the beeb

BBC News - Polls: No indication of huge Romanian-Bulgarian influx

Commission a poll, complain the sample sizes are too small to draw conclusions and then draw a conclusion for a headline. Where is the BBC bad science column when you need it?

Oh yes, 0.4% of 21 million people is still quite a few...
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

cheap labour - "No more Boom" - Gordon Brown.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      BBC News - Polls: No indication of huge Romanian-Bulgarian influx

Commission a poll, complain the sample sizes are too small to draw conclusions and then draw a conclusion for a headline. Where is the BBC bad science column when you need it?

Oh yes, 0.4% of 21 million people is still quite a few...
      Yes, 1000 people in each country doesn't represent a good consensus. This is almost as bad as those "surveys" all the beauty products seem to put in their adverts ... pointless.

Comment

When all of those polled were asked to pick their first choice of EU country to move to in either 2013 or 2014, 4.6% of Romanians and 9.3% of Bulgarians chose the UK. These numbers rose to 8.2% for Romanians and 13.6% for Bulgarians when they were asked directly about whether they would consider the UK as a destination.
        Are they as useful as the Poles? The only contact I've had with Romanians is the daily 'no thanks' to the big issue seller in the underpass, is it just me who thinks the big issue should be sold by locals who are down on their luck? This woman has been there every day for 2 years!
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
          Yes, 1000 people in each country doesn't represent a good consensus. This is almost as bad as those "surveys" all the beauty products seem to put in their adverts ... pointless.
          You mean like, "We consulted 27 people and they all said our stuff was great", when they probably asked 100 and ditched the ones they didn't like?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Are they as useful as the Poles? The only contact I've had with Romanians is the daily 'no thanks' to the big issue seller in the underpass, is it just me who thinks the big issue should be sold by locals who are down on their luck? This woman has been there every day for 2 years!
            she is local now!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Expect more of the same.

And as it's a BBC poll I expect that estimate to be remarkably low.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                would mitch?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  cheap labour - "No more Boom" - Gordon Brown.
                  You need to go back to the 50's not the 00's.

Comment

Working...
                  X