• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shell vs Super market petrol !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I disagree completely. Petrol will be between 92-102 throughout Europe. In the UK its 95-101. You cannot tune for 92, and have a benefit for 101, and vice versa.

Diesel, as well, is of varying quality even through Western Europe. Given we can now drive to and from eastern Europe, manufacturers have to take into account the lower quality of fuel there, so are legally bound to make sure they tune to the lowest common denominator. No manufacturer has a map for UK, one for France, one for, etc, etc, etc.

I believe the 999/1000 comment is incorrect too. especially on the bhp. On a N?A car this might be true, but on a TDI, or TSI engine, the gains are significant, in excess of 25% most of the time, especially at the bottom end, so it's obviously different.
    I agree. My brother had a Forc C-Max 1.9 deisel - couldn't comfortably put it into 4th gear until doing at least 35 mph - engine really laboured if you put it into 4th at 30. Had it re-mapped and drives like a different car now. Made the difference between selling it and keeping it.

Comment

When you say remapping, does that mean the ignition timing is advanced to suit the better (i.e. higher octane) fuels?

Regards

DA

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post
        When you say remapping, does that mean the ignition timing is advanced to suit the better (i.e. higher octane) fuels?

Regards

DA
        It's a lot more complex than that; it's about adjusting the flow of fuel into the ignition chamber, the opening times of the valves, adjusting how much boost the turbo delivers and all sorts.

Comment

if you are interested bit of info here

my main concern was extra strain on the running gear but that does not seem to be an issue

i may have a look at this more in depth!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            if you are interested bit of info here

my main concern was extra strain on the running gear but that does not seem to be an issue

i may have a look at this more in depth!
            I think there's built in tolerances for all modern cars running gear. I recall the s-max gearbox being from Volvo which was rated to 550 bhp. The Merc one I have is rated to 675 bhp, as it us used across the range so has to be able to support the AMG models.

I'd be looking at the car I had, and researching it's component history if I was adding power. However, in the main, most reputable companies offer warranties.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
              Hi,

I used to fill petrol from my local Morrison’s, recently moved to Shell petrol. Looks like Shell gives me 50-80 miles extract per full tank!. Is this due to 'superior' Shell Petrol or change in weather? My journey route is not changed in last 3-4 months.
              You could try the new Shell V-Power Nitro+.

Check out this video for some hardcore technical info with absolutely no marketing dribble whatsoever

http://www.youtube.com/user/Shell?v=4nwhOqvhhpo
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Morrisons LPG - 330 miles - 60 litre refill. 69p a litre....
                But don't forget that LPG is 25% less efficient making your cost about 99p per mile.

Comment

DIY additive

http://www.ijeset.com/media/4I3-IJES...N-PEROXIDE.pdf
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Shell vs Super market petrol !!

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    But don't forget that LPG is 25% less efficient making your cost about 99p per mile.
                    Makes no or negligible different in my car, ie big engine, not revving its bollocks off, and I've tried it on petrol and gas. In petrol now in fact

I take ur point tho - if the revs are up it will affect - but mines hardly turning over at 70....

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                      I disagree completely. Petrol will be between 92-102 throughout Europe. In the UK its 95-101. You cannot tune for 92, and have a benefit for 101, and vice versa.

Diesel, as well, is of varying quality even through Western Europe. Given we can now drive to and from eastern Europe, manufacturers have to take into account the lower quality of fuel there, so are legally bound to make sure they tune to the lowest common denominator. No manufacturer has a map for UK, one for France, one for, etc, etc, etc.

I believe the 999/1000 comment is incorrect too. especially on the bhp. On a N?A car this might be true, but on a TDI, or TSI engine, the gains are significant, in excess of 25% most of the time, especially at the bottom end, so it's obviously different.
                      OH, I've news for you. Do you seriously think manufacturers producing Right Hand Drive cars for the UK market tune the cars for a petrol octane not available in this country? No, neither do I.

You'll hear people who take their cars on the continent and complain their car ran rough on 'foreign' petrol. Most of that is likely due to people putting the cheapest unleaded in the tank ie 92 RON.

I can assure you RHD cars manufactured for the UK market are tuned to run on 95 RON fuel and above.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X