• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shell vs Super market petrol !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I used to fill petrol from my local Morrison’s, recently moved to Shell petrol. Looks like Shell gives me 50-80 miles extract per full tank!. Is this due to 'superior' Shell Petrol or change in weather? My journey route is not changed in last 3-4 months.

Thanks.

NB. I donot own any Shell pumps & don't have shares in Shell.

You would have to eliminate other variables, such as tyre pressure, driving style, presence or absence of water and mud on the roads, ambient temperature, air pressure, wind etc. Perhaps one variable on its own wouldn't make the difference, but altogether they might.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      You would have to eliminate other variables, such as tyre pressure, driving style, presence or absence of water and mud on the roads, ambient temperature, air pressure, wind etc. Perhaps one variable on its own wouldn't make the difference, but altogether they might.
      None of these changed dramatically - same driver, same car, same road, same tyres, same driving style.

Comment

it's probably down to bio fuel additives. wasnt 5% supposed to be bio according to bruxelles
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
          None of these changed dramatically - same driver, same car, same road, same tyres, same driving style.
          Well, I'd suggest that conditions have changed somewhat; for a start it's warmer as the season has changed and there may be less water on the roads. You may have changed your driving style slightly, but not be conscious of that; you know the road better so you know which bends you don't need to slow down for, you can carry the momentum through. It just sounds like a big difference to be explained purely by one variable, namely the fuel. Also, there might be very slight differences in the pumps at the supermarket and the petrol station. I guess the fuel might be having a positive influence, but 50 to 80 miles per tank sounds like a hell of a lot to me; that's probably 10 to 15%.

Comment

Just my ha'penny worth on my consumption

Tesco 99 RON Unleaded - about 275-280 miles per tank
            Tesco 95 RON Unleaded - about 240-255 miles per tank
            BP 97 RON Unleaded - about 275-280 miles per tank
            BP 95 RON Unleaded - about 240-255 miles per tank

This is for the exact same driving pattern and is explained by the timing being automatically retarded by the vehicle when using the lower Octane petrol.

If you are using Supermarket v Shell, the comparison would have validity only if you were comparing like for like RON / Octane petrol.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              Just my ha'penny worth on my consumption

Tesco 99 RON Unleaded - about 275-280 miles per tank
              Tesco 95 RON Unleaded - about 240-255 miles per tank
              BP 97 RON Unleaded - about 275-280 miles per tank
              BP 95 RON Unleaded - about 240-255 miles per tank

This is for the exact same driving pattern and is explained by the timing being automatically retarded by the vehicle when using the lower Octane petrol.

If you are using Supermarket v Shell, the comparison would have validity only if you were comparing like for like RON / Octane petrol.
              Bloody hell mate, I'm a tester and testers are supposed to be pedantic, but I've never bothered working all that out.

Comment

we had a target of 5% bio in transport fuels by 2010

maybe they statred sticking it in at tescos from the cooking oils and butter shelves
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Morrisons LPG - 330 miles - 60 litre refill. 69p a litre....

Comment

BP Ultimate and Shell Premium diesels give extra miles and a bit extra power in motor.

It's most obvious after a few months of usage when trying to go back to old cheaper tulip. It's worth the premium.

Comment

Working...
                    X