Shell vs Super market petrol !! Shell vs Super market petrol !!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 70
  1. #1

    Fingers like lightning

    Darren_Test is too good to be a permie

    Darren_Test's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    733

    Default Shell vs Super market petrol !!

    Hi,

    I used to fill petrol from my local Morrison’s, recently moved to Shell petrol. Looks like Shell gives me 50-80 miles extract per full tank!. Is this due to 'superior' Shell Petrol or change in weather? My journey route is not changed in last 3-4 months.

    Thanks.



    NB. I donot own any Shell pumps & don't have shares in Shell.

  2. #2

    Obstinate Git

    Mich the Tester is NOT a disguised employee

    Mich the Tester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Euroland
    Posts
    27,890

    Default

    You would have to eliminate other variables, such as tyre pressure, driving style, presence or absence of water and mud on the roads, ambient temperature, air pressure, wind etc. Perhaps one variable on its own wouldn't make the difference, but altogether they might.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

  3. #3

    Fingers like lightning

    Darren_Test is too good to be a permie

    Darren_Test's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    You would have to eliminate other variables, such as tyre pressure, driving style, presence or absence of water and mud on the roads, ambient temperature, air pressure, wind etc. Perhaps one variable on its own wouldn't make the difference, but altogether they might.
    None of these changed dramatically - same driver, same car, same road, same tyres, same driving style.

  4. #4

    The beerded one

    EternalOptimist is NOT a disguised employee

    EternalOptimist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Castle Saburac
    Posts
    22,442

    Default

    it's probably down to bio fuel additives. wasnt 5% supposed to be bio according to bruxelles
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

  5. #5

    Obstinate Git

    Mich the Tester is NOT a disguised employee

    Mich the Tester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Euroland
    Posts
    27,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Test View Post
    None of these changed dramatically - same driver, same car, same road, same tyres, same driving style.
    Well, I'd suggest that conditions have changed somewhat; for a start it's warmer as the season has changed and there may be less water on the roads. You may have changed your driving style slightly, but not be conscious of that; you know the road better so you know which bends you don't need to slow down for, you can carry the momentum through. It just sounds like a big difference to be explained purely by one variable, namely the fuel. Also, there might be very slight differences in the pumps at the supermarket and the petrol station. I guess the fuel might be having a positive influence, but 50 to 80 miles per tank sounds like a hell of a lot to me; that's probably 10 to 15%.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

  6. #6

    Super poster

    Scruff is NOT a disguised employee

    Scruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leafy Surrey (Lahndahn Tahn)
    Posts
    2,881

    Default

    Just my ha'penny worth on my consumption

    Tesco 99 RON Unleaded - about 275-280 miles per tank
    Tesco 95 RON Unleaded - about 240-255 miles per tank
    BP 97 RON Unleaded - about 275-280 miles per tank
    BP 95 RON Unleaded - about 240-255 miles per tank

    This is for the exact same driving pattern and is explained by the timing being automatically retarded by the vehicle when using the lower Octane petrol.

    If you are using Supermarket v Shell, the comparison would have validity only if you were comparing like for like RON / Octane petrol.

  7. #7

    Obstinate Git

    Mich the Tester is NOT a disguised employee

    Mich the Tester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Euroland
    Posts
    27,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
    Just my ha'penny worth on my consumption

    Tesco 99 RON Unleaded - about 275-280 miles per tank
    Tesco 95 RON Unleaded - about 240-255 miles per tank
    BP 97 RON Unleaded - about 275-280 miles per tank
    BP 95 RON Unleaded - about 240-255 miles per tank

    This is for the exact same driving pattern and is explained by the timing being automatically retarded by the vehicle when using the lower Octane petrol.

    If you are using Supermarket v Shell, the comparison would have validity only if you were comparing like for like RON / Octane petrol.
    Bloody hell mate, I'm a tester and testers are supposed to be pedantic, but I've never bothered working all that out.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

  8. #8

    The beerded one

    EternalOptimist is NOT a disguised employee

    EternalOptimist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Castle Saburac
    Posts
    22,442

    Default

    we had a target of 5% bio in transport fuels by 2010

    maybe they statred sticking it in at tescos from the cooking oils and butter shelves
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

  9. #9

    Double Godlike!

    stek - scorchio!

    stek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East of Eden
    Posts
    11,501

    Default Shell vs Super market petrol !!

    Morrisons LPG - 330 miles - 60 litre refill. 69p a litre....

  10. #10

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is a fount of knowledge

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    51,510

    Default

    BP Ultimate and Shell Premium diesels give extra miles and a bit extra power in motor.

    It's most obvious after a few months of usage when trying to go back to old cheaper tulip. It's worth the premium.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •