• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT Bunch of :wonkers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT Bunch of :wonkers

2 weeks without internet. As soon as connection went I reported it and was told there was a local outage.

since then I've spent at least 30 minutes on the phone every night being batted from BT Openreach back to BT while one lot tries to blame the other lot. Taken 2 mornings off work to wait for an engineer who didn't show on either occassion and then I get a text telling me the fault is fixed. Ring them again and they say there was no need for an engineer to visit my house as the fault is outside and they're waiting for a hoist. Then another text to tell me It's fixed. Still no internet. Now they're trying to blame my kit.

This is a business account ffs. I'm tied into a contract but I must be justified in cancelling my direct debit and telling them where to stick it.

Tempted to look into satellite broadband - probably won't be able to expense it as it would be tied into a sky package but wtf.

Sky BB = BT.

The only benefit being that Sky will put some pressure on their service provider (BT) to fix it, and BT will prioritise the fix as it's (very marginally) more B2B than B2C. Marginally because BT really don't like Sky. At all.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      Tempted to look into satellite broadband - probably won't be able to expense it as it would be tied into a sky package but wtf.
      Tulip latency, likely harsh traffic limits - you'd come back to Sky begging to be reinstated.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        Broadband via a satellite dish is latency city.

If you just mean Sky Broadband you'll still have to suffer openreach. The only escape route is Virgin Media if you are in one of their cabled areas.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The only escape route is Virgin Media if you are in one of their cabled areas.
          Not necessarily.
          Virgin Media have or had several blackspots whereby they've put in more infrastructure than they can handle. Result: internet so slow as to be unusable for weeks at a time.
          But not just in these areas: previously in London I had days' worth of outages too.

This is just part of the growing second-rateness of the UK: a guaranteed reliable internet connection is not really possible. And the funny thing is that the problem seems to be getting worse.
          Or maybe I just notice it more since I work from home.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            a guaranteed reliable internet connection is not really possible. And the funny thing is that the problem seems to be getting worse.
            Or maybe I just notice it more since I w*nk from home.
            ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

This is just part of the growing second-rateness of the UK: a guaranteed reliable internet connection is not really possible. And the funny thing is that the problem seems to be getting worse.
              I was with a really good outfit called Nildram for a few years until they got taken over by TalkTalk & then it really went downhill.

I ended up ditching them for BT Broadband as I thought that since both the service provider and the phone line are the same people I wouldn't get all this finger pointing where one lot says it's the phone line & the other says it's the ISP.

Wrong

Comment

Not necessarily.
                Virgin Media have or had several blackspots whereby they've put in more infrastructure than they can handle. Result: internet so slow as to be unusable for weeks at a time.
                But not just in these areas: previously in London I had days' worth of outages too.

I know Virgin aren't perfect but at least they can't adopt its the other companies fault approach as they even provide the (tulippy) hardware you need to connect to their network.

And yes Virgin network is in an appalling state due to lack of investment. I remember speaking to one of their devops there and they have 5 different internal networks all using the same ip range and no one is brave enough to try and resolve it.

Either way I have the choice locally of 100mb Virgin or a 5mb intermittent BT line. So I'll stick to Virgin.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Either way I have the choice locally of 100mb Virgin or a 5mb intermittent BT line. So I'll stick to Virgin.
                  Not really since you will never get the advertised 100mb, even with Virgin at its best.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yet another reason to escape this 3rd world/3rd rate country....

Comment

Working...
                    X