• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ban nasty accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You've spoilt it.

I wanted a reply for him.
    The point being tax avoidance is legal, if you can't see that you're stupid
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
      I'm aware tax avoidance is legal.

What I wanted you to explain is why a personal allowance is a scheme?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
        I find that a lot of people who talk about "tax avoidance is legal" actually engage in nothing other than tax evasion.

It's just HMRC has no resources or time to pursue them in criminal courts (other than VAT fraudsters). That really needs to change and HMRC should pursue those who created those schemes in the first place - if the scheme is criminal tax evasion then not only the person who used it to benefit from tax should go down, but also the people who created this scheme in the first place, including those QCs who've "approved" the scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          I find that a lot of people who talk about "tax avoidance is legal" actually engage in nothing other than tax evasion.

It's just HMRC has no resources or time to pursue them in criminal courts (other than VAT fraudsters). That really needs to change and HMRC should pursue those who created those schemes in the first place - if the scheme is criminal tax evasion then not only the person who used it to benefit from tax should go down, but also the people who created this scheme in the first place, including those QCs who've "approved" the scheme.
          Who, in this context are no different than the guilty big 4 and certainly no different to the senior tax officers (and there are many) who have left HMRC after they have retired with their hefty taxpayer funded pensions to advise in similar capacities.

I wouldn't actually mind being accountable for tax if the simpletons who administer and spend it were at least as accountable :P

Comment

Working...
          X