• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For those that invest....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those that invest....

In a SIPP how many shares do you down? I think I might have gone too far in diversification with 14 different shares, with my eye on another 6, mainly all blue chips with a good history of dividends as i am looking for long term income return rather than growth in value, but i have a couple which are punts
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    In a SIPP how many shares do you down? I think I might have gone too far in diversification with 14 different shares, with my eye on another 6, mainly all blue chips with a good history of dividends as i am looking for long term income return rather than growth in value, but i have a couple which are punts
    I go for funds instead. Four low cost trackers of the major indices. One Europe (ex. UK), one UK only, one far-East and one US.

That just about covers everything.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Yes get a low cost tracker, and sleep at night.
      Such as:

VANGUARD FUNDS PLC VANGUARD FTS ETF- Yahoo! UK & Ireland Finance

It is a whole-world stock market tracker, with total fees of 0.3% per year. Job done.

Comment

Half the fun is researching the shares, looking at the long term, what's the point of having a SIPP if you are just going to let someone else invest for you?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Half the fun is researching the shares, looking at the long term, what's the point of having a SIPP if you are just going to let someone else invest for you?
          Because the trackers have a track record (no pun intended) of consistently out performing managed funds year on year. If you want to play the market thats fine, but if you are looking for a serious long term investment trackers are the best option. You might do better on your own, you probably won't.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Because, in mature markets, even the very best Fund Managers in the world can't beat trackers. From Moneywise:

Experts largely agree that passive funds work best in the large developed markets, as it is difficult for active managers to add value. "The best examples are large UK and US equities," says Patrick Connolly, spokesperson for AWD Chase de Vere.
            "Here, information is so freely available that it is very difficult for active managers to spot and exploit genuine investment opportunities."

Davies adds: "There are so many final and interim results and trading statements that there's a level playing field among investors.
            If Tesco takes some analysts around its stores and gives them a briefing, they will still press release it straight after so everyone has that information and no one has an advantage."

...as Peter Robertson, head of retail at Vanguard, points out: "Consistent long-term outperformance with an active fund is rare."

nomadd liked this post

Comment

I have 9 active investments and one dead duck - a legacy (and memory) of the dot com boom - but am looking for more diversification... if I show you mine will you show me yours?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                I have 9 active investments and one dead duck - a legacy (and memory) of the dot com boom - but am looking for more diversification... if I show you mine will you show me yours?
                https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...o_Analysis.pdf

Still too heavily exposed to the finance sector, but I just can't see Lloyds not returning to at least £2 a share within the next 5-10 years which considering I bought them for a average of 30p a share, sold a fair number of Lloyds and Aviva in the past to aid my diversification, but am now looking to add First Group, BP, ARM, Next, Persimmon and British Land to finally cover myself and then just slowly bring up the minor share holdings with my regular monthly income to dilute the Lloyds without having to sell any

Comment

BAE
                  BG
                  BP
                  GKN
                  LGEN
                  NG
                  RDSA
                  RR
                  SL

Been hammered on the BG shares this year - but still think OK long term
                  GSK has had a good run up - not sure there is further to go
                  BAT seems to be in everyone's portfolio shame I didn't add earlier
                  Dodged a bullet as was going to pile into RBS a few years ago as a banking stock - but I am looking into banking to widen the portfolio
                  Last edited by Troll; 28 April 2013, 19:24.
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    BAE
                    BG
                    BP
                    GKN
                    LGEN
                    NG
                    RDSA
                    RR
                    SL

Been hammered on the BG shares this year - but still think OK long term
                    GSK has had a good run up - not sure there is further to go
                    BAT seems to be in everyone's portfolio shame I didn't add earlier
                    Dodged a bullet as was going to pile into RBS a few years ago as a banking stock - but I am looking into banking to widen the portfolio

(I've actually worked at Lloyds, BB, Aviva & Vodafone - which may explain why not in the portfolio )
                    SL has been fantastic this year and BP has been strong as well. Pity I sold before the rise.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X