• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66/S58 update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's why we have decided to bribe elected officials rather than following mob whim.

ftfy

Yes, the mob wont agree for some highly paid contractors to pay 2% tax. Politicians might.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      ftfy

Yes, the mob wont agree for some highly paid contractors to pay 2% tax. Politicians might.
      It has nothing to do with paying 2% tax, and everything to do with saying the money you earned a decade ago is going to be taxed.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It has nothing to do with paying 2% tax, and everything to do with saying the money you earned a decade ago is going to be taxed.

So that money earned a decade ago was not taxed at 2% ?
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

That's why we have elected officials rather than following mob whim.
          Kind of strange to complain about democracy then. What you want is the opposite of democracy; you want to be able to use your wealth to influence officials to see things your way and ignore the wishes of the people who voted for them, who would almost certainly be against you. Democracy would be a disaster for you.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Kind of strange to complain about democracy then. What you want is the opposite of democracy; you want to be able to use your wealth to influence officials to see things your way and ignore the wishes of the people who voted for them, who would almost certainly be against you. Democracy would be a disaster for you.
            He doesn't want a democracy, he answers to one person only. He can't see him, or converse with him, he just obeys him blindly.

I think it's for this, that I give d000hg the amount of 'respect' he deserves....

Comment

It's part of democracy that those who make themselves heard get listened to. I don't like that money is a way to get heard, but the BN66-ers are also meeting their MPs and so on. If you don't make your MP aware what you want, whose fault is that?

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                So that money earned a decade ago was not taxed at 2% ?
                I neither know nor care, as long as it was legal at the time.

How'd you feel if they decide in 10 years that we were all caught by IR35 and have to pay the extra? In the eyes of the public what we do is blatantly not on, the general public would support us no more than they would the BN66 crowd.

Comment

It's part of democracy that those who make themselves heard get listened to. I don't like that money is a way to get heard, but the BN66-ers are also meeting their MPs and so on. If you don't make your MP aware what you want, whose fault is that?
                  For once, I couldn't agree more with d000hg. If you do not use the tools at your disposal, then that's your lookout. I speak, and meet with our MP quite often, as it's a rural place, and there are plenty of social events our paths cross. Danny Alexander actually emailed me on the back of a meeting, and complaint to her (well, one of his minions I would suspect), on the issue of the new Public Sector income regulations for contractors.

If you do not ask, you do not get heard.

Comment

I like to make those online petitions. Some of them get a few signatures as well...
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I neither know nor care, as long as it was legal at the time.
                      This has already been settled in courts - tax with interest should be paid back.

The lobbying action is essentially designed to bypass court decisions on the basis that people who've chosen to pay 2% tax and spent all the money will now go bankrupt.

I am certainly impressed at how far lobbysts gone for relatively small amount of money (6 figures?).
                      Last edited by AtW; 2 May 2013, 17:22.

Comment

Working...
                      X