• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rent, rent, rent...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'd argue a £1m flat at Tower Bridge / Catherine Docks is 'proper'.
    And that's freehold?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      And that's freehold?
      It's a flat so probably (99.999999999% sure) not.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        And that's freehold?
        Just an example... lots of posh modern houses are initially leasehold but even buying the lease doesn't free you from obligations to the property management company, which are built in to ownership of the property - houses on private roads for example.

And even if a flat is a leasehold, you could buy the freehold and it wouldn't change much.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
          When I lived in london the landlord (or rather his agent) tried to put our rent up every year. Out of the 6 years I think we refused on 4 occasions and the landlord backed down. The other 2 occasions we agreed to a 2-3% increase. Agent was just trying for more commission and the landlord wasnt bothered. If you are good tenants it will almost always be better for the landlord to keep you at the same rent than pay another agents finders fee.
          You say no to a rent increase and the agent automatically puts the property on the market - 1 month before your tenancy expires. Simples.

BTW, do the agents require consent of the existing tenant before showing the property to the prospective tenants - in all circumstances?

I can spot a loophole where the viewing times may be really inconvenient

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
            You say no to a rent increase and the agent automatically puts the property on the market - 1 month before your tenancy expires. Simples.

BTW, do the agents require consent of the existing tenant before showing the property to the prospective tenants - in all circumstances?

I can spot a loophole where the viewing times may be really inconvenient
            Yes you are entitled to quiet enjoyment. As for getting proper advice on what to do read and post at All about renting - House Price Crash forum

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
              Pretty sure it will be in the contract that they can come and do the viewing as long as they give you sensible warning.

Comment

Pretty sure it will be in the contract that they can come and do the viewing as long as they give you sensible warning.
                As with many things it may be in the contract but it won't be legally in the contract.

When push comes to shove agents put stuff in contracts on the basis that people don't know better.
                Last edited by eek; 15 May 2013, 14:15.

Comment

Legally the landlord is allowed to inspect the property if they give the correct notice. The notice is there to protect the tenants from problem landlords. Legally workmen have to be given access to carry out restorative work. So where is it legally stated the landlord (or agent) cannot bring people with him?

Comment

We rent out houses, and communicate person to person, which proves much better in the long term.

We've also put in rent increases every other year, which we dilute if the people can stump up a year in front. Saving them £750. It normally works, you get the money up fornt, and the rent increase you want (5%). Increasing 10% year on year isn't following the market, it's trying it on, why not engage with him and offer 5%? From a landlords perspective, you'd always rather have someone in that you knew, keep someone in paying, and avoid the costs of getting someone in that's new.

That's what I'd advise in your situation.

Comment

Legally the landlord is allowed to inspect the property if they give the correct notice. The notice is there to protect the tenants from problem landlords. Legally workmen have to be given access to carry out restorative work. So where is it legally stated the landlord (or agent) cannot bring people with him?
                      All well and good, but if you 'suspect' there 'might be' a CO2 leak, or there 'could be' an issue with the boiler, you can entry at will.

24 hours notice otherwise, is considered fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X