• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rent, rent, rent...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent, rent, rent...

So I rent (e not a. occasionally a, as I do now). Year after year my landlord uses the following [extortionate] tactics. What's my best response?

Here's their tactics:
    1. Serve a notice to vacate the premises in 2 months.
    2. Tell me that the notice will be revoked if I agree to a 10% increase in rent no later than within next 30 days, else the notice is enforced.

I kind of like the area. My best move is [...fill in the blank...]

Option 1) Take it and pay up

Option 2) Tell him to stuff it, you aint paying a penny more and walk. See if he caves or not. If he doesn't he is a tosser and you are out of there.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Find new place where landlord is not a chunt.

Comment

As a landlord myself, he's only responding the market (I take it you're in London?). I ramp up my rent to what the market will take too, I'd be stupid to do anything else - although I don't serve notice first. You can leave but I doubt you'd get anything cheaper in the area, unless he's being extortionate.
        Blame Maggie for selling off council houses and subsequent governments for not initiating a house-building program.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

See if you can find anything else at a better price.
          Add on moving costs.
          Compare costs vs landlord's price hike.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Share with AtW.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              As a landlord myself, he's only responding the market (I take it you're in London?). I ramp up my rent to what the market will take too, I'd be stupid to do anything else - although I don't serve notice first. You can leave but I doubt you'd get anything cheaper in the area, unless he's being extortionate.
              Blame Maggie for selling off council houses and subsequent governments for not initiating a house-building program.
              Don't landlords serve notice (section 21) at the same time as signing the lease? I would! Lets the tennant know not to mess about.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
                So I rent (e not a. occasionally a, as I do now). Year after year my landlord uses the following [extortionate] tactics. What's my best response?

Here's their tactics:
                1. Serve a notice to vacate the premises in 2 months.
                2. Tell me that the notice will be revoked if I agree to a 10% increase in rent no later than within next 30 days, else the notice is enforced.

I kind of like the area. My best move is [...fill in the blank...]
                Agree, wait a few months, and then accidentally flood the place, properly done can take a year to be habitable again.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
                  Don't landlords serve notice (section 21) at the same time as signing the lease? I would! Lets the tennant know not to mess about.
                  I didn't for my first renewal. Is that the done thing nowadays? Jeez.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    If it is a one time 10% increase for some understandable reason (upgraded kitchen equipment, etc.), it may be OK, especially if you like the place and the area. But if every year it increases by 10%, you are better off moving to a less greedy landlord. With a 10% increase, in seven years you will pay close to 100% more than the first year you agreed to rent. So move on.

A smart landlord will increase rent less aggressively, after all, if the place is empty for one month he already lost more than 10% for the year. There are lots of flats waiting to be rented, this tells me that you will be able to find a place.

One more point: if the rent goes up by 10% every year and that is doubling the rent in 7 years, do you expect your contract rate or salary increase with the same rate? If you earn 70K, do you expect to earn 140k in seven years? If not, you are lowering your living standard while increasing someone else's living standard.

This is business, supply and demand.
                    My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Working...
                    X