• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Partial Identity Theft

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why would someone want to order a laptop on your card and have it sent to your address - isn't that defeating the point of fraud? Or is it the equivalent of ordering 15 pizzas to your teacher's house?
    Just to make sure that there was something worth robbing when they broke in
    World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Why would someone want to order a laptop on your card and have it sent to your address - isn't that defeating the point of fraud? Or is it the equivalent of ordering 15 pizzas to your teacher's house?
      was 15 years ago I don't think they had got the hang of internet fraud.
      IIRC, back then it was quite hard to get anything that had been bought on a credit card delivered to any address other than the one the card was registered to. I vaguely remember people hooting loudly online in the early days of Amazon when they tried to order something to be delivered to somebody else as a gift and were told it could only be delivered to their own address.

I think it was the introduction of those three digit codes on the signature strip that led to the change in policy on the part of the credit card companies. Doesn't seem to have worked so well, does it?

Comment

Happened to a friend, some companies in the old days insisted the first order was to the CC address and then you became a 'trusted customer' and could have deliveries to where you liked.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
        X