• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Cookbook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*bump*

Keep the recipes coming, the "book" will be sold in support of Children with Leukaemia.

A lot of you have posted summat online in the past ( we've certainly had loads of chilli and curry recipes).
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

The lazy f***ers guide to tex mex

Basic seasoning
      2 heaped tsp ground cumin
      1 heaped tsp ground coriander
      1.5 tsp paprika
      1.5 tsp sugar
      0,5 tsp chilli flakes (or add chilli fresh as you go)
      Mix well and store in a jar

Use this as a base for
      Fajitas
      Add a tsp smoked paprika to basic mix
      Slice meat into strips/modest sized chunks. Sprinkle on 2/3 tsp seasoning (enough to coat) and some lime juice and leave to marinade.
      Brown meat in a little oil, add another tsp or so of seasoning, add some finely chopped onion and garlic, chuck in tin of chopped tomatoes and simmer until meat cooked and sauce reduced. If you like it dry, leave the tomatoes out and stir fry.
      Chop ripe avocados and sdd a little lime juice. You can use a little garlic if you like, but I don't bother.
      Heat some flour tortillas
      Open carton of sour cream and a jar of jalapenos
      Assemble at the table
      Sometimes (as an extra side dish) I'll lightly fry some peppers, onions and garlic until just cooked. Or chop some fresh tomatoes, add a little salt, pepper, grated onion and coriander. If I can be arsed.

Chilli con carne

Brown meat, onions, garlic in oil
      Add about 4 tsp basic mix & stir to cover ingredients. Mixture should be coated in seasoning.
      Finely chop chilli (1-3 - depends how hot you like it) and add to pot
      Add some water (maybe 1-2 cups - you need to cook the chillis through without it sticking)
      Add a squeeze of tomato puree to taste
      Simmer gently until meat is done (add a little water if it starts to dry out/stick).
      Drain, rinse and add a tin (or two) of kidney beans and cook for another 10 mins at least. Sauce shouldn't be runny.
      Add tomatoes/peppers if you want. Best done after about 20 mins cooking.
      Serve with rice, crusty bread, whatever you fancy

Spicy Potato Wedges
      You might want to add a little more sugar to basic mix for this one as it helps with a nice crispy finish.
      Wash spuds
      Chop into wedge sized chunks (don't peel them)
      Place into bowl and blanch in microwave
      Drain spuds and pat dry
      Drizzle with oil and mix so wedges are coated
      Sprinkle on seasoning and mix so wedges are coated
      Place in baking tray, dust with a little more seasoning and finish cooking in the oven. I guess I do them at about 200-220C but depends on your oven. Your usual roast spud temperature should be OK.

Obviously with all the above you should season with salt etc. to taste. I'd normally add a very small amount because the Zip household has differing views on salt. You do need some though.
      If you don't like meat the chilli con carne would be OK made with lentils. For the fajita, just substitute some robust veg.
      Fiddle around with the basic mix according to your taste. Soemtimes I add 0,5 tsp garlic powder for example.

Any good?
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        The lazy f***ers guide to tex mex

Basic seasoning
        2 heaped tsp ground cumin
        1 heaped tsp ground coriander
        1.5 tsp paprika
        1.5 tsp sugar
        0,5 tsp chilli flakes (or add chilli fresh as you go)
        Mix well and store in a jar

Use this as a base for
        Fajitas
        Add a tsp smoked paprika to basic mix
        Slice meat into strips/modest sized chunks. Sprinkle on 2/3 tsp seasoning (enough to coat) and some lime juice and leave to marinade.
        Brown meat in a little oil, add another tsp or so of seasoning, add some finely chopped onion and garlic, chuck in tin of chopped tomatoes and simmer until meat cooked and sauce reduced. If you like it dry, leave the tomatoes out and stir fry.
        Chop ripe avocados and sdd a little lime juice. You can use a little garlic if you like, but I don't bother.
        Heat some flour tortillas
        Open carton of sour cream and a jar of jalapenos
        Assemble at the table
        Sometimes (as an extra side dish) I'll lightly fry some peppers, onions and garlic until just cooked. Or chop some fresh tomatoes, add a little salt, pepper, grated onion and coriander. If I can be arsed.

Chilli con carne

Brown meat, onions, garlic in oil
        Add about 4 tsp basic mix & stir to cover ingredients. Mixture should be coated in seasoning.
        Finely chop chilli (1-3 - depends how hot you like it) and add to pot
        Add some water (maybe 1-2 cups - you need to cook the chillis through without it sticking)
        Add a squeeze of tomato puree to taste
        Simmer gently until meat is done (add a little water if it starts to dry out/stick).
        Drain, rinse and add a tin (or two) of kidney beans and cook for another 10 mins at least. Sauce shouldn't be runny.
        Add tomatoes/peppers if you want. Best done after about 20 mins cooking.
        Serve with rice, crusty bread, whatever you fancy

Spicy Potato Wedges
        You might want to add a little more sugar to basic mix for this one as it helps with a nice crispy finish.
        Wash spuds
        Chop into wedge sized chunks (don't peel them)
        Place into bowl and blanch in microwave
        Drain spuds and pat dry
        Drizzle with oil and mix so wedges are coated
        Sprinkle on seasoning and mix so wedges are coated
        Place in baking tray, dust with a little more seasoning and finish cooking in the oven. I guess I do them at about 200-220C but depends on your oven. Your usual roast spud temperature should be OK.

Obviously with all the above you should season with salt etc. to taste. I'd normally add a very small amount because the Zip household has differing views on salt. You do need some though.
        If you don't like meat the chilli con carne would be OK made with lentils. For the fajita, just substitute some robust veg.
        Fiddle around with the basic mix according to your taste. Soemtimes I add 0,5 tsp garlic powder for example.

Any good?
        mmmmmmm, I feel like tex- mex tonight!
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Can Peeps remember to PM Cliphead and myself with the recipes as well.

ta!

I may also do some searches for past threads asking for recipes to add to the "pot", so to speak

Norrahe's blog

Comment

*bump*

Keep 'em coming

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Bumping this again.

I know there are some talented cooks on here so get the recipes coming, it's for a good cause and is a bit of fun.

Wait till you try my rustic Portuguese lamb...
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Mrs Shah's Aloo Mattar

(serves 2 as a decent sized side)
                2 large-ish Peeled and cubed potatos
                Fresh coriander
                Curry paste
                Lemon juice
                Frozen peas
                Garlic
                Oil or ghee

Fry potatos in oil until the edges are translucent.
                Add chopped garlic and about 2 tsp of curry paste. Stir to coat potatos.
                Add juice of 0.5 lemon and tsp sugar, cover pan with a tight fitting lid and cook gently for 10 mins.
                Add some chopped coriander (about 2 tsp) and stir.
                Continue cooking until potatos are nearly cooked, then add about a cup of frozen pes
                Cook for a few more minutes.
                Add more coriander.
                Serve.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Thanks so far, all

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Don't forget starters and desserts too.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                      Don't forget starters and desserts too.
                      And if anyone has favourite drinks they like to make

Thanks to those who have sent in stuff so far, remember this will be sold in aid of Children with Leukaemia.

Deadline for Entries is Friday 31st.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X