• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The house that MF built

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Scrag can recommend a builder for you MF

Comment

Week 1 - Groundworks & Drainage

Builders arrived on site posted letters around the local houses & Monday and proceeded to clear it. Couple of concerned neighbours straight over to ask what they're doing and tell them who owns what. All easily placated.

Diggers in to clear the surface area and expose the foul sewers. Bricks delivered.
      Lots of back and forth between the builders & myself trying to get a building inspector out.

Tuesday - Building inspector out. Previous footings are not deep enough and have broken the manhole. You need to fix that and you can't build over that sewer without dispensation from the water board to say who owns it, you'll have to stop and get that. Possible 4 week delay. Few quick phone calls back and forth to the inspector & his admin team, previous dispensation letter provided proving my ownership. Inspector passes, were off.
      Builders ask for some more money to move the meter. I say that should be included, they say not.

Wednesday. NHBC out for warranty. They agree & pass but add stipulation that an independent party wall is required. Builders tap me for some more money £1000, but agree the previous day request was included. All agreed & we're off!

Thursday & tomorrow. Footings dug back out and working on foul sewers & surface water.

Estimated Cost £70000 / Limit before I cry £80000
      Weeks additional costs £1000
      NHBC Costs £1395
      Total Cost to Date = £72395
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Builders arrived on site posted letters around the local houses & Monday and proceeded to clear it. Couple of concerned neighbours straight over to ask what they're doing and tell them who owns what. All easily placated.

Diggers in to clear the surface area and expose the foul sewers. Bricks delivered.
        Lots of back and forth between the builders & myself trying to get a building inspector out.

Tuesday - Building inspector out. Previous footings are not deep enough and have broken the manhole. You need to fix that and you can't build over that sewer without dispensation from the water board to say who owns it, you'll have to stop and get that. Possible 4 week delay. Few quick phone calls back and forth to the inspector & his admin team, previous dispensation letter provided proving my ownership. Inspector passes, were off.
        Builders ask for some more money to move the meter. I say that should be included, they say not.

Wednesday. NHBC out for warranty. They agree & pass but add stipulation that an independent party wall is required. Builders tap me for some more money £1000, but agree the previous day request was included. All agreed & we're off!

Thursday & tomorrow. Footings dug back out and working on foul sewers & surface water.

NHBC Costs £1395
        It's all going a bit suity.

Comment

NHBC Costs £1395
          Any work needed to get access to the highway?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Wednesday. NHBC out for warranty. They agree & pass but add stipulation that an independent party wall is required. Builders tap me for some more money £1000,
            why Independent wall needed?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

MF: Thanks for update – its interesting to see it from the other point of view
              Can I ask: how did you get to your budget?

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              why Independent wall needed?
              Depending on its location / age it will likely be a fire / acoustic requirement
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Previous footings are not deep enough and have broken the manhole.
                Have you put on that much weight?

Comment

Week 1 - Groundworks & Drainage - End of Week

All inspections completed. Old footings by previous guy dug out taking an extra day, as he'd not gone deep enough, broken the manhole & also concreted in the electric cables. Digger cut the cables causing a short.

Then for the existing property which has a budget of £7000 for updating & new heating system, not included below an additional cost for tank and copper cylinder as they;re missing from the house because it's oil. Extra cost £1095

A quick discussion with the builder about extra costs, indicated a possible charge for a portaloo of £400 for the following week as the tenant had stayed and now they cannot use the loo. Have discussed that some fees should be included, so expect some to come back off.

Additional costs
                  £150 to remove old footings
                  £100 to unwire & remove shed (news to me)
                  £150 to repair damaged manhole
                  £1095 for the boiler on the other house(going on this budget)
                  £480 fees for building inspectors (not included)

New Total Cost to Date £74370
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Week 1 - Groundworks & Drainage - End of Week

All inspections completed. Old footings by previous guy dug out taking an extra day, as he'd not gone deep enough, broken the manhole & also concreted in the electric cables. Digger cut the cables causing a short.

Then for the existing property which has a budget of £7000 for updating & new heating system, not included below an additional cost for tank and copper cylinder as they;re missing from the house because it's oil. Extra cost £1095

A quick discussion with the builder about extra costs, indicated a possible charge for a portaloo of £400 for the following week as the tenant had stayed and now they cannot use the loo. Have discussed that some fees should be included, so expect some to come back off.

Additional costs
                    £150 to remove old footings
                    £100 to unwire & remove shed (news to me)
                    £150 to repair damaged manhole
                    £1095 for the boiler on the other house(going on this budget)
                    £480 fees for building inspectors (not included)

New Total Cost to Date £74370
                    75k all bar the shouting and you'll cry at £80k?

Oh dear.

Comment

So building quote backs. £69950 to build a two bedroom, one bathroom, one downstairs toilet, lounge, kitchen end of terrace house at 600 sq feet. Fully managed build to include everything except soft furnishing. Includes new driveway.

Also rip out & replace bathroom in old house & removal of oil heaters and replacement with electric in old house & electric in new.

Expected time 14 weeks. Five payments, on each phase on inspection, one month in arrears.

I'm going to work on +10% contingency.

Awaiting on quotes for the services & then schedule a time to start.
                      Nice one, why electric heaters though no gas mains?

Comment

Working...
                      X