• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dress code for day 1?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Suit + Tie.
    After day one, losing the tie is priority #1
    After that usually I end up wearing the suit until the end of the contract.
    WCSS
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Just make sure you look more presentable than the permies but not trying to outdo the management, you need to 'slot in' unnoticed.

Same goes for transport and lunch choice, in my experience 'billy big bollox' doesn't get the renewal.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        WCSS
        +1

I'm moved to entirely white shirts as well and then I never have any choice in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
          Suits are for weddings and funerals only...

Day 1 - Shirt and smart trousers, no tie.
          Day 2 onwards - Casual but always smarter than the permies
          That's how I roll....

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            +1

I'm moved to entirely white shirts as well and then I never have any choice in the morning.
            Also I always have at least one tie in my desk drawer in case I'm wheeled out before the client's clients or board.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Day 1 (morning) - suit and tie
              Day 1 (afternoon) - suit with no tie
              Day 2 onwards - shirt and trousers

Current - shorts and t-shirt. But I've been working from home for the past three years
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You could e-mail them and ask.

Am starting a new gig next month, dress code seems to vary from jeans to smart casual, will probably drop them a line to find out.

I know when dealing with external clients I'll probably be suited and booted for this gig but not in the office.

Mr N had a job interview for a software firm where he turned up in full suit and tie, director interviewing him was in jeans and a t-shirt, at the end of the interview they basically told him to tun up in jeans and t-shirt for the next interview.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

If you want to play it safe then wear smart (i.e. suit) trousers and a shirt with no tie. Keep the tie in your bag and put it on should it look like a tie wearing sort of office.
                  If you drive to work then you can even keep a suit jacket in the car just in case, if you don't drive then wear the jacket.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

3 piece suit with a tie - apart from recently when they need dry cleaning but I have been too busy to get it done so I have managed to wrangle shirt and trousers.

Two reasons - I like looking smart and my aspergic daughter gets confused if I am not dressed in, basically, a grey three piece suit with a tie. She thinks I am not going to work so wants to come with me to wherever I am going.

I wear my 3 piece from day one and casually mention to people in conversation why I have to come to work dressed like a mafia hitman etc. No one seems to be bothered either way.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I worked at Cadbury Schweppes HQ (pre Kraft) and dress code was strict suit and tie. I even got a bollocking for taking my tie off once.

Talk about old fashioned.

Comment

Working...
                      X