• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Girly question about Mercs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new CLA and A class are 4wd and anything that says 4matic otherwise (practically) all reasonably sized saloons are RWD. Frau D. wants me to buy a Merc again as she uses the star at the front to judge where the front of the car is...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

When I used to have a Merc the star used to get nicked
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
        I am too lazy to google this, and reckon one of you lot will know this.

Are all Mercedes rear wheel drive?

If any models aren't, which ones are they?
        A/B class is front wheel drive, M and G class are 4wd, all others rear wheel drive except the '4matic' variants which are 4 wheel drive.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I just hate the aggro in ice or snow, and I resented having to spend so much money on winter tyres when I drove a BMW.

OH thank you for that very comprehensive reply!
          It's OK in ice or snow these days what with the traction control and ABS and all the other clever gubbins, and the tyres are much better than in the past. It's perhaps a matter of personal preference but one big advantage with big mercs in slippery conditions is that they slip very gradually and predictably, so it's usually quite easy to correct. Personally I don't have a bleeding clue what a FWD or 4WD car is going to do in a slippery bend so I'm not that happy with them.

Comment

I just hate the aggro in ice or snow, and I resented having to spend so much money on winter tyres when I drove a BMW.

OH thank you for that very comprehensive reply!
            4WD is not a panacea for ice and snow. Can help dig you out if you're stuck.
            But winter tyres are far more effective, especially for what matters: stopping distance.
            I don't see why they should be expensive - I've got a set I paid £600 for.
            I swap them out every summer and you end up with two sets of tyres that last twice as long.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              4WD is not a panacea for ice and snow. Can help dig you out if you're stuck.
              But winter tyres are far more effective, especially for what matters: stopping distance.
              I don't see why they should be expensive - I've got a set I paid £600 for.
              I swap them out every summer and you end up with two sets of tyres that last twice as long.

Just to clarify, I'm not after a 4wd particularly.

I just very definitely do not want a RWD.

You make a good point about the tyres though sas, yeah.

I think I'm probably going to go for a volvo.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Sas is quite correct, but don't do a d000hg, and only put them on the front

In all seriousness, I leased a BMW 330i touring, and couldn't get out of the hamlet in the snow. I swapped it for a FWD Audi, and that was fine in the snow. But nothing beats winter tyres and 4wd.

The new CLA is tiny in the back, so I'd not recommend that. Which Volvo would you want to go for? They're canning the C30, which leaves the V40 and V50, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  Which Volvo would you want to go for? They're canning the C30, which leaves the V40 and V50, I guess.
                  Do they deliver them with that fish on the back or is that an add-on extra?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Do they deliver them with that fish on the back or is that an add-on extra?

The Polestar S60 comes with a devil

Comment

Why not have a look at the Subaru Legacy, I'm on the process of buying one if I can find one I like and Portseven has just got one, nice and roomy, AWD but doesn't look like an soft roader, and pretty decent MPG
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X